Options

Anyone here work for the State?

dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
I was curious if anyone worked for the government in the IT field? I have been trying to get in for the past year with no luck. I have even tried to dummy down my resume just to try and get my foot in the door on an entry level position but have had no luck as of yet. I’m one class away from my BS degree in computer science and also have my A+. I currently work as a Computer Analyst for a big company but I do more system administration work than anything else since I’m the only IT guy at this office. I really want to make the transition to a Network Admin or Systems Administrator but the few interviews I had said I’m over qualified for even the entry level jobs after talking with me a few minutes. What should I do? This has happened to me twice so far.

At my current job I maintain Symantec System Center (A/V software), setup Cisco VoIP phones using Call Manager 3.3 and Cisco Unity for voicemail, reset passwords in AD, Use Symantec Ghost to re-ghost computers in the office, setup AD users and give proper permissions, take help desk calls to support our 500+ off site nurses, and make sure the hardware and software runs reliable for the office. For the other office we have in Maryland I use solve a lot of problems using remote desktop.

I’m currently studying for my MCSA and hope to have it finished by early next year. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for state government. Right now it is tough to get in (at least here) as the slowing economy has caused a hiring freeze.

As for getting an opportunity, make sure that you write up your qualifications just like it shows in the job announcement. A lot of these resumes and applications are pre-scanned by people that have no idea, and if they don't match what is on the announcement, you don't match.

Best of luck.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The gov't is also big on things like charity work and your degree. Once you have your BS it will probably be easier.

I work for the federal government if you were curious.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Cherper wrote:
    I work for state government. Right now it is tough to get in (at least here) as the slowing economy has caused a hiring freeze.

As for getting an opportunity, make sure that you write up your qualifications just like it shows in the job announcement. A lot of these resumes and applications are pre-scanned by people that have no idea, and if they don't match what is on the announcement, you don't match.

Best of luck.

You are in Carson City?

Im up the block in Reno! From what I understand there is a freeze on hiring anybody, atleast county wide.

Currently working Deskside support for AT&T. Im contracted to IBM then to AT&T. Its really convaluted but I literally work for three companies if you can figure that one out.
  • Options
    What kind of questions did they ask in the interview?
  • Options
    Nevermind I had a interview with them yesterday. It was called a target interview. Never had one before but I think it went well.

Dan