Options

EIGRP Network command

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

Just trying to clarify exactly what the requirements are for the "network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x command are:

I have come across an example showing:

network 10.2.2.2 0.0.0.1 (which is a serial point-to-point link) - 10.2.2.2 /31 is the address stated on the link. The i/f of the remote router must have the address 10.2.2.3 /31 from this mask.

This address encompasses both ends of the link but is it necessary to specify 0.0.0.1 rather than 0.0.0.0. (there are no other networks in that range in this particular example)?

TIA. :)
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No, there is no need to specify 0.0.0.1. All the network command is doing is telling EIGRP what interfaces to run on. I always use 0.0.0.0 masks becasue it makes things cleaner and eaiser to read in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    josunin75josunin75 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BTW isn't the subnet mask supposed to be /30 not /31? icon_redface.gif
    =============================
    on to BCMSN ^=============^

<Lab>
    2 x 3550 EMI
    2 x 2950
    2 x 3640
    1 x 2621
    =============================
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use /31 on point-to-point links that are not on multi access media such as ethernet....
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    we use /31 on uplinks between switches which are Gig-E. Just be careful with the mbecause not all devices will support them.

I like to use the "network x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0" style network command when configuring EIGRP unless the device has many interfaces then I may wildcard them.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I know, Cisco planning to use /31 mask for frame-relay connections; for point-to-point links, a /30 mask is used, because only two ip addresses are needed...
    anyway, for wildcard-mask, a 0 means that the digit from that position must match, and 255 means that the digit does not matter (this is obvious when you want to include more than one interface into EIGRP domain with a single network statement); you can also think at wildcard-mask like the inverse of the subnet-mask, so for 10.2.2.2/30network, the command is network 10.2.2.2 0.0.0.3...
    For OSPF, wildcard-mask is mandatory, but for EIGRP, it is not necessary
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    You can use /31 on point-to-point links that are not on multi access media such as ethernet....
    dtlokee wrote:
    we use /31 on uplinks between switches which are Gig-E. Just be careful with the mbecause not all devices will support them.

Interesting. Excellent bit of info. I thought maybe trooper is over-studying icon_wink.gif and dt studied too much for his CCIE that he started making things up for himself.icon_lol.gif

However, they are right and here are some documentation I found from Cisco and the accompanying RFC document. Good fill-in knowledge.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just make sure you put the IP classless statement in global mode if your IOS doesnt support it by default. that bit me in the but on a couple of labs in the past.