Router-to-Router connectivity!

02cheemar02cheemar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have connected two routers togetherby using packet tracer 4.11. routers dont ping each other. the configurations is the problem for me. how do i configure the routing?? so that if i send data from 1st router's network to the 2nd router's network, it gets there.

how do i do that...

i am really sorry for my words. its really really hard to explain the situation in words unless you actually see the networks. i am trying my best
:)

I AM DESPRATE TO KNOW THIS

here are the details...

i have a network 192.168.1.0 at router's interface 192.168.1.1.

i have other network 192.168.2.0 at the same router's interface 192.168.2.1

router external interface (the one that connects local networks to external network) is 192.168.8.1

this is one router

on other router, i have network 192.168.3.0 at interface 192.168.3.1

i have ohter network 192.168.4.0 at the same router (router #2)'s interface 192.168.4.1

. Router #2's external interface is 192.168.9.1

now i want "192.168.8.1" (Router #1's external interface) to forward data to "192.168.9.1" (Router #2's external interface).

i need command for that.

when i try to ping a host on network 192.168.4.0 for a host on network 192.168.1.0, it says "Reply form 192.168.1.1 (router #1's internal interface) Destination Host Unreachable"

THIS IS ALL I CAN PROVIDE

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

I BEG U!

Comments

• waymorrwaymorr Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried looking at Tech labs, they have lots of great tips and give you examples you can try out.
    Have a look at the link configuring a basic RIP network.

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_1_rip.shtml
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    can you post the running config for both the routers?

what routing protocol are you using?
    have you set a default gateway?
    have you set a static route between the routers??

im guessin no....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • 02cheemar02cheemar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanx to you...

that was exactly what i was lookin for and it solved my proble. by the way i tried every step in that but only thing left to try was encapsulation method. but my problem is solved :D

so ye..

thanx to you :)
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    02cheemar wrote:
    i have connected two routers together ... routers dont ping each other...
    how do i do that...

router external interface (the one that connects local networks to external network) is 192.168.8.1

this is one router

. Router #2's external interface is 192.168.9.1
    now i want "192.168.8.1" (Router #1's external interface) to forward data to "192.168.9.1" (Router #2's external interface).

it's obvious that you use different networks on the same segment; why don't you use ip addresses from the same class network? for example, 192.168.8.1 and 192.168.8.2? this solve easily router's layer 3 connectivity
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to have a routing protocol running between the two - you haven't given an indication if there is one running. A router wont be able ping another IP address unless the destination is in a network the source router belives is directly connected to.

Also what are the subnets/prefix for these networks - because it looks like the two routers dont have a common network between them.
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nullrouter wrote:
    You need to have a routing protocol running between the two - you haven't given an indication if there is one running. A router wont be able ping another IP address unless the destination is in a network the source router belives is directly connected to.

Also what are the subnets/prefix for these networks - because it looks like the two routers dont have a common network between them.

Technically speaking, he/she needs to have routing between the two..ie static routing, not necessarily a routing protocol.