Options

Cisco to Cisco VPN/IPSEC Connection Question

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hi Everyone,

I have an odd request, and my very limited cisco knowledge is insufficient for the task at hand. We are trying to install a cable internet connection at a remote location as a fail-over for the point-to-point T1 connection. However, we still need all traffic to flow from the remote location to the main office. We would like to accomplish this while purchasing as little new hardware as possible. At the main office we currently have a Cisco ASA 5510 acting as our firewall/vpn device, and at the remote location we have, of course, a cisco 2600. The 2600 has one lan connection, in use, and two csu/dsu, one of which will shortly be freed up (not that this does us much good). I know, or at least think I know, that the 2600 can build an ipsec tunnel to the ASA over the cable connection, but will the cable modem need to be plugged directly into the 2600 (purchase of an additional card) or can the 2600 even accomplish this task? If neccesary, I can probably sell a hardware connector, like a sonicwall vpn device, to connect to the ASA, but this client is particularly unhappy about spending money. Still, it is what it is.

Thanks everyone. Let me know if you need more information.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint