Options

Entry Level jobs...

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
I'm currently in College, looking to get a jump start on experience in the IT field and the only jobs I feel I can land, if I'm lucky are:

Retail Jobs(GeekSquad, Firedog, Staples)
Help Desk Level 1 (Technicial Support)

Do you have any other in mind?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Technical support, desktop support, field technician, and a slight slight slight chance at junior administrator, depending upon the company's definition of jr. admin.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    In addition to looking into "tech" entry level jobs, I would also recommend that you look at office jobs (administrative, clerical, mailroom, data entry, document scanning/imaging).

These are great places to get hands-on experience with the technology used in business.

While still in college, you can usually find part-time or flexible hour positions, and work into a full time slot when you graduate or get your degree.

These jobs will usually pay just as good as help desk type positions, but often can be a lot less stressful.

Learn as much as you can about how the office systems are run, how they troubleshoot issues, maintain the user systems & network, and deploy patches. Become friends with the IT department guys... and ask questions with humility, don't act like you know more than they do (even if you do), and you may find a decent mentor that will help you get into the IT department.

Learning to be professional in an office environment is about as important to career success as your IT skills will be (and they won't have to be updated as often icon_wink.gif )

Best of luck,
    --RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 rcoop.

That's my typical advice as well. Just look for a job where they'll let you do some computer work. You might be answering phones or filing most your time, but that'll be worth your while if they also let you do some of their IT work. Check out small businesses because they rarely have someone on staff that can handle the IT side of things.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    rcoop wrote:
    In addition to looking into "tech" entry level jobs, I would also recommend that you look at office jobs (administrative, clerical, mailroom, data entry, document scanning/imaging).

These are great places to get hands-on experience with the technology used in business.

While still in college, you can usually find part-time or flexible hour positions, and work into a full time slot when you graduate or get your degree.

These jobs will usually pay just as good as help desk type positions, but often can be a lot less stressful.

Learn as much as you can about how the office systems are run, how they troubleshoot issues, maintain the user systems & network, and deploy patches. Become friends with the IT department guys... and ask questions with humility, don't act like you know more than they do (even if you do), and you may find a decent mentor that will help you get into the IT department.

Learning to be professional in an office environment is about as important to career success as your IT skills will be (and they won't have to be updated as often icon_wink.gif )

Best of luck,
    --RCoop

Thanks RCoop, this opens the playing field a lot more. :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA