Options

Help!!! Read worrying Information!!

abclukeabcluke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I would say I am near enough ready for the 70-210 now, and am just doing practice exams etc now. Problem is, i was in a book shop the other day skimming through pages, and was reading the oriellys MCSE book. It states that No one can enter a Microsoft MCP Exam without at least 1 yrs experiance in the feild. I dont have not 1 month experiance in the field!!!

Is this correct???? I have spent loads on books, and a lot of the time and effort in studying for it.

Please someone correct me of the truth!!

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    nope. experience isn’t necessary. Although it's always better than "no experience", MS exams (from MCP to the premier certs) don't require experience -1 or 10 months/years.

Just make sure you're prepared and ready. 70-210 is said to be the easiest MS exam in town (in premier certifications MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA).

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    No, not correct.

This is what M$ says:
    An MCSA candidate should have 12 months of experience working with a desktop operating system, a network operating system, and an existing network infrastructure.

70-210 is just the beginning of a long track to MCSA or MCSE.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    janmike: this guy's preparing for 70-210, not MCSA so I guess that rule won't apply to him. But is that 12 month experience a recommended thing or is it a must?
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I wouldn't interpret that as a rule at all, except as a "rule of thumb."
    There is no requirement for proof of experience, at least that I've found,
    before a person can test for MCP, or request a cert for MCSA or MCSE.

I'm presently studying for 70-210 myself, and I've read every requirement for certs that this exam will apply toward. Guess I should have emphasized the should in the M$ quote instead of the "MSCA candidate" part.

This is the whole quote:
    The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) credential proves that you have the skills to successfully implement, manage, and troubleshoot the ongoing needs of Microsoft Windows® 2000–based operating environments.

An MCSA candidate should have 12 months of experience working with a desktop operating system, a network operating system, and an existing network infrastructure.

The intent of the cert is to prove that you have the skills to be successful in implementing, managing, and troubleshooting. So, it seems, the full intent is to demonstrate that the cadidate has the overall knowledge that is consistent with knowledge gained by someone with 12 months of experience.

The intro to the page with the same info for MCSE, doesn't even make such a statement. It just goes right into the list of exams required for the cert.

Indeed, on-the-job experience is the ideal prerequisite. But you may have to write your own prescription when it comes to getting that experience or at least its equivalent--hence, the home network lab. It worked quite well for me. My self-taught experience in Active Directory permitted me to go to my work station at a brand new job and go right to work! So, that home lab stuff does count!

Well, I'm beginning to ramble, and it's lunch time here. Hope this settles some issues, or, at least, doesn't produce any new ones!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    alexander_ralexander_r Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about that statement too much. I've been in the filed for 3 years now and am studying for the MCP myself and I am still learning somethings about the OS. Just study hard and GOOD LUCK!
    Progress is not a slow process!
  • Options
    blackguymdblackguymd Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have no experience and i just passed the other day.
  • Options
    Companies recommend experience because it kind of secures the authenticity of the person holding the certification. Much like the relation between a graduate degree and a thesis. You must prove you've done something other than studying towards this field alone.

Hope you do well on 70-210

2lbs.