Options

Help with OSPF!

suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm having some trouble getting OSPF going between two routers. Here's the relevant (?) output from running-config:

Router 1:
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.0
router ospf 100
log-adjacency-changes
network 172.16.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

Router 2:
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
router ospf 101
log-adjacency-changes
network 172.16.20.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

I'm at a loss here. show ip ospf neighbors shows nothing, and no routes in show ip route.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something real easy, any ideas?[/b]

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    are they connected between the fast ethernet ports?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Yes, they are. I actually tested that they could ping each other when on the same network.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    put the interfaces in the same subnet
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if these fast Ethernets are directly connected it will not work because they are in different networks. If they are not directly connected would you be able to post a network diagram?
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Yes they'll have to be in the same subnet if they are directly connected.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    I'm still new at OSPF, but i did create my own lab scenario last night very similar to this one. It worked for me.

The difference, configure a network command to advertise the serial int. Here's what mine looked like:

router ospf 1
    log-adjacency-changes
    network 10.1.5.2 0.0.0.0 area 0
    > this is the serial interface on the router
    network 172.16.10.10 0.0.0.0 area 0
    > the Fa interface

The trick is you need to enable OSPF on each interfaces on the router. Hey don't ask me why! Wendell Odom said so. icon_wink.gif
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    gojericho0 wrote:
    if these fast Ethernets are directly connected it will not work because they are in different networks. If they are not directly connected would you be able to post a network diagram?

He is exactly right the connection you have between the two ports must reside in the same subnet. You can't have an interface in 10.0.0.1/24 and another 10.0.2.1/24 and have them communicate if they are on a point to point type link. Just because you enabled a routing protocol means nothing. They have to form an adjacency and if you remember reading, one of the criteria for forming that is the interfaces have to be in the same subnet.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, you hit the nail on the head. Once I put the interfaces the same subnet, my screen was spammed with ospf broadcast messages (I had debug on).

:D:D
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    D'oh! Missed the part about the Fa interfaces being connected to each other. Here, I was thinking they're on their respective LANs.

But glad to see this has been great learning experience for all parties involved! icon_lol.gif

If you're interested, here's my topology (try to lab it up):

LAN1
    (fa0/1)R1(s0/1)
    (s0/1)R2(fa0/1)
    LAN2.

R1 and R2 are connected on their serial interfaces, and I had a LAN segment on each routers connected through fa0/1 of each routers.

R1 Lan segment: 192.168.10.0/24
    R2 LAN segment: 172.16.10.0/24
    R1-R2 link: 10.1.5.0/30

With OSPF configured correctly, it's a thing of beauty. ;)
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Thanks Aragoen, I will try that out tonight.

I learned a lot more from my simple mistake than I could have from a sim.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In order to become neighbours, two OSPF routers have to match area, timers (hello and dead intervals), network type and subnet
  • Options
    netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a perfect example of why a forum like like is so valuable. The benefits to both the poster (getting their question answered or getting a tip which spurs deeper thought) and the sharing of knowledge that a responder can impart is really beneficial to many.

Keep up the good work!!