Log Shipping Exercise in MS Press Book(70-431)

savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,
I am attempting the Log Shipping exercise in the 70-431 MS Press book, starting on page 671.

On page 674, #13, you click "OK" and Sql server will save the config and restore/create LSTesting2 database.

I've been fiddling with this for over 90 minutes.

The system gave me an error saying it could not find the network path. I am running on a single PC, that runs Vista. My computer name, which is required for entering the UNC path is "hp-PC", which I located in the Control Panel/System. I entered "\\hp-PC\LSBackup", as indicated in the book.

This folder was set up as a shared folder, according to the steps in the text. One of the steps is to back up a database and save the backup in this folder. This worked okay, though for backup the path is specified as "c:\LogShip Practice\LSBackup".

Anyone have any suggestions....???

Thanks....

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    savior faire,

Have you ensured that the system is set up to allow file sharing? Generally in its default set up vista does not allow file sharing through the firewall. You could try \\127.0.0.1\LSBackup

My suspects would be firewall and then authentication. Good luck and please post your solution.
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you ensured that the system is set up to allow file sharing? Generally in its default set up vista does not allow file sharing through the firewall. You could try \\127.0.0.1\LSBackup

My suspects would be firewall and then authentication. Good luck and please post your solution.

Hi Robert,
    I am doing this practice exercise on a single PC, running a default instance... and following the directions step by step. I have made the folder "LSBackup" a shared folder, by doing a 'right-click' and selecting "Share".

At first I believed it was correct. I've been fooling with this for over five hours. I re-checked that the folder was set up correctly, and saw that I needed to add "everyone", which I did.

Log Shipping will not recognize the network name of the folder(\\HP-PC\LSBackup) during the restore operation, however, if I do a regular "restore" and navigate to the folder, it works fine.

Let me try the \\127.0....

Thanks for the reply and suggestion...
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One critical thing you did not mention is the firewall. Like I mentioned, many times Windows Vista does not support file sharing out of the box and it sounds like that is your case. Even if it is the same computer if file sharing is blocked you will have no chance. I am not sure what "restore" means in your message. Are you browsing from explorer to \\hp-pc ? If that is the case then it is certainly not a firewall issue.
    One critical thing you did not mention is the firewall. Like I mentioned, many times Windows Vista does not support file sharing out of the box and it sounds like that is your case. Even if it is the same computer if file sharing is blocked you will have no chance. I am not sure what "restore" means in your message. Are you browsing from explorer to \\hp-pc ? If that is the case then it is certainly not a firewall issue.

"Restore" means when setting up Log Shipping, I selected the option to backup the primary database, and restore it in the pertinent folder. The Backup step works fine and places the backup file in this directory. The restore to the "new" folder for the secondary DB fails.

I found out that SQL Agent was not running, so I started it, also had to change the credentials to either Local Service or NetWork(right click in SQL Config).

I am running this in a single pc(my home computer), I also re-checked the sharing of the folder and saw that I needed to turn "on" sharing of files.

Yes, I can open the "shared folder", in Windows Explorer.

This is getting extremely frustrating and aggravating. I've got the theory and procedure down...

If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated. I'll check in when I am at work.

Thanks!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you're strictly test prepping, I wouldnt worry about making the log shipping work as long as you know what it is, and how to do it.
    If you're strictly test prepping, I wouldnt worry about making the log shipping work as long as you know what it is, and how to do it.

Yeah... I have the theory cold...and am familiar with the screens, would have been nice to get it to work...

I appreciate your responses and suggestions!