Options

Suggestions for going through CCNP

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

I have read all the FAQ's and peoples experiences regarding starting out on the CCNP track. I especially need advice on what study material i need to purchase, there are soo many books and material, some old, some new, whats the latest on the book list side?

Also, if you have any suggestions regarding physical gear, I would greatly appreciate it (Ciscokits are helping out tremendously).

Help me spend money ;)
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Let's see. . .

CCNP Official Exam Certification Library (5th Edition)

CCNP Nuggets series

Some crazy person's ideas on a CCNP lab icon_lol.gif

Hope that gives you a start. I'm sure some of the other Cisco gurus and CCNP study-fiends will have some input as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would start with BCSI. From what hear its probably the hardest of the four exams, plus it builds on all those routing protocols you learned in the CCNA and adds a couple more. You also learn some cool tips and tricks for scaling and controlling routing
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Let's see. . .

CCNP Official Exam Certification Library (5th Edition)

CCNP Nuggets series

Some crazy person's ideas on a CCNP lab icon_lol.gif

Hope that gives you a start. I'm sure some of the other Cisco gurus and CCNP study-fiends will have some input as well.

Cool, it contains all the certification guides. I looked at http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26520, and it seems like there is a command guide and a lab portfolio for each. Anyone else using these or extra books to supply with?

Update: What about the self study-guides, anyone using those instead of the exam certification guides?

Read your lab setup slowhand.. I will follow your example :)
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    kpjungle wrote:
    it seems like there is a command guide and a lab portfolio for each. Anyone else using these or extra books to supply with?
    I have ordered both the command guide and lab portfolio for BSCI but haven't received them yet, I'm hoping they will be of great use.

Has anyone else used them?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    I wouldn't start with Certification guide unless you have a years of experience configuring routers. I made the mistake of starting solo with cert guide and regretted it. BSCI study guide and Lab portfolio is the way to go.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with singh8281 about the exam certification guide. It is a great pre-exam study source, but if you are learning from the ground up I would go with the study guide and then the certification guide.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with singh8281
    ditto

Check the CCNP FAQ for the link to the Cisco Press CCNP web page.

The Quick Reference Sheets are also good for a quick summary of the important points to stay awake for during study -- and for a review before your exam (and to kill time the morning of your exam).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Great. Thanks alot guys.. will spend Cisco money tomorrow :)
  • Options
    singh8281 wrote:
    I wouldn't start with Certification guide unless you have a years of experience configuring routers. I made the mistake of starting solo with cert guide and regretted it. BSCI study guide and Lab portfolio is the way to go.

Just adding to my shopping cart, and I noticed there are no self-study guides for ISCW and ONT, are the exam cert guides the only material covering those areas then?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kpjungle wrote:
    I noticed there are no self-study guides for ISCW and ONT, are the exam cert guides the only material covering those areas then?
    Those exams only have the one book for certification self study.

You'd also want to use the Reference Sheets and the Cisco Documentation to fill in any gaps you find between the exam blueprint and the Exam Certification Guide.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While you're blowing tons of cash on Cisco Press material, don't forget that the internet is a relatively free resource that has a ton more info than the entire library offered by Cisco press.

I stopped buying Cisco exam prep guides mid way through the CCNP when I realized they're a sham. The DocCD is just as coherent and more concise without the frequent poor writing. The quick reference sheets are good for review but not necessary either. I think I spent a total of $90 on books for the CCNP. I wouldn't be surprised if Cisco makes just as much money peddling poorly written books as they do selling hardware.

Here is my strategy:

1. Print the exam blueprint
    2. Review subjects at a CCNA level if possible
    3. Once memory loss has been repaired, study foreign topics to a fundamental level
    4. Practice basic configuration
    5. Study subjects in further depth (DocCD, groupdstudy, RFC's)
    6. Practice advanced configuration
    7. Sit/pass exam

Also keep good notes. Don't rely on your memory alone to get you through exams. By putting a pen in your hand and putting word to paper you greatly improve your chances of remembering the information. Be in a hurry but take your time :)

just my $.02
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote:
    While you're blowing tons of cash on Cisco Press material, don't forget that the internet is a relatively free resource that has a ton more info than the entire library offered by Cisco press.

I stopped buying Cisco exam prep guides mid way through the CCNP when I realized they're a sham. The DocCD is just as coherent and more concise without the frequent poor writing. The quick reference sheets are good for review but not necessary either. I think I spent a total of $90 on books for the CCNP. I wouldn't be surprised if Cisco makes just as much money peddling poorly written books as they do selling hardware.

Here is my strategy:

3. Once memory loss has been repaired, study foreign topics to a fundamental level
    7. Sit/pass exam

Also keep good notes. Don't rely on your memory alone to get you through exams. By putting a pen in your hand and putting word to paper you greatly improve your chances of remembering the information. Be in a hurry but take your time :)

just my $.02

Thanks for all the valuable input. I assume the blueprint mentioned is http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-901.html ?

I can only second the thing about keeping notes. It helped me tremendously during my CCNA. I wrote down some major things regarding each chapter. It kept me thinking about each topic and memorize some things that were hard to keep in memory, but keep looking them over and adding to them.
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Paul Boz wrote:

Here is my strategy:

7. Sit/pass exam

just my $.02

Paul, don't you know that that HOT IT BABES in armour with big guns totally dig dudes with big Cisco libraries?! You sillly silly man........... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    optimus wrote:

Paul, don't you know that that HOT IT BABES in armour with big guns totally dig dudes with big Cisco libraries?! You sillly silly man........... icon_lol.gif

Well, I married a non-IT girl and it's quite the opposite. "Clean these damn books out of the bathroom or I'm throwing them in the tub" has come up a few times ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    icon_eek.gif

That is grounds for divorce, especially if they are Cisco books!