Options

KVM & Sun Servers

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone using a KVM solution with SUN servers? I am looking for an easier solution that works with SUN & Windows Servers. I'm currently using a Raritan Master Console Z. The KVM works flawlessly until I reboot the SUN servers. During the reboot process, I have to plug an external monitor into the SUN server in order to maintain video. Once the video comes back up, I can then plug the KVM's video cable into the SUN server. I've already contacted Raritan's tech support, but they've been slow to respond to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

~Peanut Head
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I usually use Avocent or Raritan. Can't speak to your specific problem.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    yes I faced many problems with KVMs and SUN

sounds like you lose the screen on the KVM when the OS goes down to the OK prompt level ??

if this is the case, then you need to set the resolution of the Ok prompt as well (PROM). because the resolution there is independent of that os the OS

to change that do this, for example:

ok setenv output-device screen:r1024x660x45

ok reset-all

this sets the resolution to 1024x660 and refresh rate to 45

i don't know ur settings, but set the resolution same as OS resolution and it should work fine :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thanks Unixguy... I'll give it a try. Currently my output-device is set to screen. I'll post the results.

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Unixguy... it was no dice. I tried to change the resolution, but I've had no luck. The problem persisted. I tried multiple resolutions, even reduced the resolution, but still no luck. So I'm still in search of someone who has a KVM solution that provides services even during a reboot.

Thanks...

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Unixguy... it was no dice. I tried to change the resolution, but I've had no luck. The problem persisted. I tried multiple resolutions, even reduced the resolution, but still no luck. So I'm still in search of someone who has a KVM solution that provides services even during a reboot.

Thanks...

~Peanut Head

See the default output device is "screen" which should work with normal screen but not with KVM switch.

It happened with me before. Listen, with the KVM switch comes usually a manual where supported resolution are written. I suggest you try them all, trial and error.

Anyway, when you was changing the resolutions, did you notice any difference on the KVM switch screen ? Like it becomes white for example or blinking??
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com