Options

Resume touch up

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Objective:

To employ and apply my technical skills in an organization based on my profession, for mutual growth and progress with an organization in the field of computing science and information systems.

I was criticized by my objective, I was wondering if you guys can give me a good "objective" advise that I can put on my resume...

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Eliminate the objective statement. Waste of space that can be filled with more descriptions of your skills and jobs. The objective statement is more likely to hurt you than help you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote:
    Eliminate the objective statement. Waste of space that can be filled with more descriptions of your skills and jobs. The objective statement is more likely to hurt you than help you.

Personally, I'm with you. I think it's pretty obvious that your objective is to become employed.

However, what's the official HR stance? Nearly every resume guide I see recommends them. It seems like they're a necessary evil.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this as well.
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    I'd stick with a summary instead. You should mention what your title is, how many years of experience you have in each of 2-3 general areas, your education level + certs, skills, and one or two accomplishments. Try to say it in the most simple, short and general way possible, but also make sure they look like sentences and not just a list of things.

When an employer or recruiter reads hundreds of resumes, he/she only has few seconds to decide whether to throw yours in the trash or to continue reading. Your summary will tell an employer or recruiter who you are (without reading the whole resume) and spark an interest to finish reading it.

Most of the guides I read last year said it's okay to have a summary instead of an objective.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Personally, I'm with you. I think it's pretty obvious that your objective is to become employed.

However, what's the official HR stance? Nearly every resume guide I see recommends them. It seems like they're a necessary evil.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on this as well.
    Listen to Louise, she's a genius. http://www.blueskyresumesblog.com/2007/03/why_i_hate_micr.html
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great information guys. Thanks :D
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    astorrs wrote:

astorrs,

You are the reason I have twice as many bookmarks as I did a month and a half ago. icon_wink.gif
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cacharo wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

astorrs,

You are the reason I have twice as many bookmarks as I did a month and a half ago. icon_wink.gif
    LOL, here's another one along the same lines to add then. http://www.blueskyresumesblog.com/2007/10/no-one-cares-wh.html