Options

2 weeks notice

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hey Everybody,

Do you really have to put in your two weeks notice? I'm sure I wouldn't get a 2 weeks laid-off notice.

writing the resignment as we speak!

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats really the wrong way to think about it.

Do you want to build relationships or burn bridges? Once you answer that question then the answer to your question is obvious.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Right! I dont want to burn any bridges. I strongly believe it's who you know, not what you know in our field.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    So if you leave your former employer and all their employees in a lurch, is that burning a bridge or building one?

And just because your employer could leave you in a lurch, two wrongs don't make a right.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just to give you a positive story about notice. I put my 2 weeks notice in for a company that I was with for only 6 months. Of course HR was very unhappy about this because they looked at me as a total waste of time. However I was very open to doing whatever my boss needed.

He kept saying that he was concerned because 2 weeks wasn't quite enough for him because he would only have 1 person to support the entire network for a while. Well I said I would be completely willing to go above and beyond and work until I started my next job (which was about 3.5 weeks notice) to make sure you are covered.

In return I was compensated with vacation sick and personal time instead of just vacation time.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Definitely give them the 2 weeks notice.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you care about the reference or contacts, you have to do the notice.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    blargoe wrote:
    If you care about the reference or contacts, you have to do the notice.

Bingo! If you don't plan on using them for a reference its not hat important I guess. I think it is still the right thing to offer even if they say its unnecessary for you to stay on. Besides, its an extra paycheck.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Dont burn any bridges and have some pride for the work you do whether you like it or not. Work the notice period, unless the job has become hazzadous to your health, criminal record etc
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools