Options

Ideas to keep an admin busy

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Well lately I've been having more downtime than ever. Even though its the nature of the job to simply wait for something to break, I hate feeling like I'm not being productive. Of course there's plenty non job-related ways to keep myself occupied (like reading this forum for example) but I would prefer if there was something more I could do to improve the infrastructure around here. Not to say it's in bad shape but I wish I could think of more things to do around here. In my position, I don't necessarily have a supervisor or boss. The General Manager might give me projects here and there but for the majority of my work week I need to find my own work.

Let me start by saying I work in an environment with 8 servers and about 50 end-users and a few smartphones. We have 2 DC, 1 standard server (for payroll), 1 Exchange, 2 SQL, and 1 backup server. Also have a standby server for Double-Take replication of Exchange and a SQL server.

I have all 8 servers running as stable as a brick wall, not a single error recorded in any of the logs.

Since I'm not required to do any monitoring such as incoming/outgoing calls, emails, web traffic, or any of the sort I don't have much to keep me productive. If I don't have any projects going on I usually spend some brief time throughout the day running through the event logs of all 8 servers, Exchange queue, suspected spam emails for false-positives, ensure KVM over IP connectivity for each server, server temperatures, and resource load.

I think maybe it would be good for me to start testing backups as well.

So give me suggestions guys. How do you admins keep yourselves productive?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    ...I usually spend some brief time throughout the day running through the event logs of all 8 servers...
    Are all the event logs pristine? If not, why not? ;)

Yes definitely perform test restores of the servers, individual mailboxes/databases, etc.

How about implementing a monitoring tool that will alert you (or others) when there is a potential problem with something, without you having to go out and find it.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Then require yourself to do monitoring and keep up with that. It's quite important to have proper monitoring in an environment.

Complete documentation and start process and procedures. Act like you are setting yourself up to grow to 1000 users and you want to have everything streamlined for that.

Make a procedure to test backups every 5 months. Make a procedure to do fail-over testing every 5 months.

Clean up like cable management and dusting is very important because thats what upper management sees. Make sure your stuff is clean.

Research new products and test out things that may be useful for the business now or the future.

Setup meetings with your co-workers/bosses to try and keep them informed on things that may change now or in the future.

Learn new options like Linux. You can setup things like a Linux-Nagios server for your company's monitoring.

Take initiative, it will be very good for the business, your references, your learning, and possible management positions in the future.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where's that MCSE? Are you able to study?

Those studies might expose you to new material and give you ideas for improving things.

Maybe set up one of the packages suggested here to monitor your systems/devices.

Do you ever run MBSA?

How do you do updates? Have you setup WSUS?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:
    ...I usually spend some brief time throughout the day running through the event logs of all 8 servers...

How about implementing a monitoring tool that will alert you (or others) when there is a potential problem with something, without you having to go out and find it.

I do have alerts set up for practically everything. UPS, virus, backups, and double-take. I could probably add an IP monitor into the mix as well.
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Then require yourself to do monitoring and keep up with that. It's quite important to have proper monitoring in an environment.

I think maybe I used the wrong choice of words. I was asked not to monitor that kind of stuff. I work for a family owned company so it's a laid back environment. Management doesn't really care about what emails come in and out. Funny thing is, the owner actually had me help him create a hotmail account because his buddies always send him pictures of n u d e women and he doesn't want those on his Iphone where his kids could get a hold of it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

We have just standard internet updates. With only 50 workstations I figured WSUS would not be necessary.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We only have 30 here but I set up WSUS none-the-less. It's well worth it even for a small business I think. It's also good experience for you. I would also recommend setting up a testing lab for those updates.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WSUS is definitely worth the effort in your case, if only for the reporting that it provides on installed updates per computer and any problems.

Not that I have downtime, ever, but tne thing that is stressed where I work is getting to know the business and its processes better in an effort to suggest ideas for the business to be more productive and efficient. Are there any processes that have a lot of redundant steps, unnecessary cost, rework, or manual intervention? Propose a solution!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    paintb4707 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

We have just standard internet updates. With only 50 workstations I figured WSUS would not be necessary.
    50 workstations all trying to download a patch will make your internet connection pretty slow. Use WSUS and its all internal to your network apart from the initial download. Also if you ever need to rebuild a PC and want to do updates then its quick.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So there is your first project, setup WSUS. Do you have an imaging server setup to image desktops. Even with only 50 end users it would be nice to have in my opinion. You could look into WDS which is free from Microsoft.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sthomas wrote:
    So there is your first project, setup WSUS. Do you have an imaging server setup to image desktops. Even with only 50 end users it would be nice to have in my opinion. You could look into WDS which is free from Microsoft.

Yes we have Acronis for backups and workstation images.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    Not that I have downtime, ever, but tne thing that is stressed where I work is getting to know the business and its processes better in an effort to suggest ideas for the business to be more productive and efficient. Are there any processes that have a lot of redundant steps, unnecessary cost, rework, or manual intervention? Propose a solution!

As per one of my recent posts, I would love more than anything to know more about the industry so that I could provide more solutions. However I have not had any formal training on the industry so I am just learning as I go. Perhaps I should request some training in that regard.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't say that's a requirement. Just watch people, watch the process. Talk to your co-workers. Find out what is working and what could use improvement. Ask to sit with a department for an hour or so and learn more about their day to day.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I'd highly recommend as well. You can also test your patches that way before pushing them out incase there is some kind of "uh-oh" you didn't see coming. You can also prevent the install of any patches your users just don't need
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Start auditing your workstations and servers with MBSA. WSUS can sometimes be inaccurate, and MBSA will more than likely reveal that if a server reports to a WSUS server it's patched when it actually isn't.

There's even a Visio plugin to help make professional looking reports. I agree you should use WSUS instead of having machines go out to the net to get updates.

Have you run the Exchange and SQL Best Practice Analyzers?

Cleanup your wiring? I've found that every server rack has some not so prestine wires. Got cable management for your switches? All your cables labeled?

Is your DR plan documented?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe download MS's free edition of sharepoint and create a intranet....
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I would go with the updating / checking / documenting of the DR plan or creation of one if there isnt one currently.

You'll be glad you spent the time doing it should something happen!
    (Which inevitably always does icon_sad.gif )
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will begin documenting the DR plan.
    Sie wrote:
    I would go with the updating / checking / documenting of the DR plan or creation of one if there isnt one currently.

You'll be glad you spent the time doing it should something happen!
    (Which inevitably always does icon_sad.gif )

Do you happen to have any good links to articles for documenting DRP? I don't even know where to begin.
  • Options
    Just as an update... sorry for reviving an old thread but thought it could still be useful to others.

I've implemented WSUS, documented our DRP, and found a really cool and free web-based network monitor called PRTG.

http://www.paessler.com/prtg7

I'm going to check out MBSA as well.

Keep the ideas flowing!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Set up a IDS/IPS if you don't have one set up already.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I noticed you are using PRTG. Are you using the version that limits you to 10 interfaces?

Something that is free, incredibly time-consuming(staying with the idea of the thread), and can cover all your interfaces on a single server: MRTG.

MRTG is great for trending and even for security usage. It also stays out of people's packets, which is important, imo.

Just an idea, but it's a fun thing you could work with and it's definitely something lots of companies like to see on a resume. Most managers/directors for systems/network departments know or have heard of MRTG at this point, so it's marketable.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    study?

when I can thats what I do. icon_study.gif

I am downloading the PRTG monitor as we speak to check it out though :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security