Options

A+ Essentials, am I ready?

beckyjones198beckyjones198 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there. I'm new here. I stumbled across the site while looking for study guides and advise.

I am a bit confused. I am studying for my CompTIA A+ Essentials but I can't find any reference to it in the study guides here, or in the practice exams.

Am I doing a different course or am I doing OS,Network and Core rolled in to one?

Comments

• Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Hi there. I'm new here. I stumbled across the site while looking for study guides and advise.

I am a bit confused. I am studying for my CompTIA A+ Essentials but I can't find any reference to it in the study guides here, or in the practice exams.

A+ Essentials is 220-601 which is one of two exams one must pass to achieve an A+ certification. A+ IT Technician is 220-602 which is the other exam. (I believe you have an option of 603 and 604)

You get the objectives of the A+ exams from CompTIA:

http://certification.comptia.org/a/
    Am I doing a different course or am I doing OS,Network and Core rolled in to one?

The A+ Essentials is basically all over the place from Windows 2000, Windows XP, Networks, Memory, Cables, Command-Line, BIO/CMOS, Hard Drive Technologies and all that jazz.

There are TechNotes on this forum if you havn't noticed. Which are very helpful! :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:

A+ Essentials is 220-601 which is one of two exams one must pass to achieve an A+ certification. A+ IT Technician is 220-602 which is the other exam. (I believe you have an option of 603 and 604)

The A+ Essentials is basically all over the place from Windows 2000, Windows XP, Networks, Memory, Cables, Command-Line, BIO/CMOS, Hard Drive Technologies and all that jazz.

There are TechNotes on this forum if you havn't noticed. Which are very helpful! :D

Ah I see, I may have got myself more confused as they replaced my training material only a few months after I got it. I was convinced that I was doing A+ Core and A+ OS, I was wrong!

Can I ask another question?
    As part of my material I have been given a Mike Meyers practice exam cd, are the questions on this cd anything like what I can expect in the real exam? icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    jryantech wrote:

Ah I see, I may have got myself more confused as they replaced my training material only a few months after I got it. I was convinced that I was doing A+ Core and A+ OS, I was wrong!

As part of my material I have been given a Mike Meyers practice exam cd, are the questions on this cd anything like what I can expect in the real exam? icon_eek.gif

If the CD states its for the 601 or 602, I would say yes. Mike Meyers is great at this stuff, I used his All-in-One book to pass the A+...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

If the CD states its for the 601 or 602, I would say yes. Mike Meyers is great at this stuff, I used his All-in-One book to pass the A+...

Ah ha its the 601 cd. I am less confused now.
    I have been using training material provided by advent, I am finding it very difficult to memorise things like processor specs and mobo details.
    I work in IT already and have been doing it as a hobby for the last 10 years so thought I knew quite a lot already but some of the stuff I have read has really baffled me and my more experienced collegues!

Has anyone ever read any of the "For dummies" range of books?
  • Options
    LifelongLearnerLifelongLearner Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have read some of the books in the 'dummies' series but didn't like them to tell you the truth. I prefer sybex or mike myer books.