Skill Level for Resumes

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
Should you put a skill level for computer languages that you have studied? (IE Novice, Intermediate, Expert) Because I have personally touched based on quite a few programming languages but have not mastered them and I'm sure most people who do programming never master a complete language for quite awhile.

So say if I have good knowledge of Java, introduction knowledge of Visual Basic and strong knowledge of PHP do I just list them (Java, VB, PHP) or should I be specific which language I know more depth too.
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd gear it toward the position you're applying for.

If it's a programming position, go into detail.

If it's a general IT position, lump them all together and mention them in passing, like you did above.

If it's a clerical position, you might want to leave them off all together (the exception would be if they want someone who can do a little tinkering around with Word or Excel or something).
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't put the skill level. I would just mention some of the languages and briefly mention the type of programs you implemented. When you get an interview they may have you elaborate even more to get a feeling of your competency in a language