Options

EtherChannel Question w/ Server

EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been reading about EtherChannel and in the text I came across something that was interesting. The general idea was that you could setup etherchannel to a server and have the link decision based on IP, port, etc.

This got me thinking. I have an IBM eServer sitting next to me as a file server for my home office, plus it also runs a Sql Server.

If I understand the theory correctly would I be able to setup a two line etherchannel to this server and have one line for the sql traffic and another for the Windows File Transfer traffic?

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Eco wrote:
    I've been reading about EtherChannel and in the text I came across something that was interesting. The general idea was that you could setup etherchannel to a server and have the link decision based on IP, port, etc.

This got me thinking. I have an IBM eServer sitting next to me as a file server for my home office, plus it also runs a Sql Server.

If I understand the theory correctly would I be able to setup a two line etherchannel to this server and have one line for the sql traffic and another for the Windows File Transfer traffic?

Eco,

Questions:
    1. What make and model managed switch(es) do you have?
    2. How many NIC ports are there on the IBM eServer?
  • Options
    Switches: 3550 and a couple 2950s
    Nics: 2 onboard Intel pro 1000 - one says model CT the other says model MT.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Eco wrote:
    Switches: 3550 and a couple 2950s
    Nics: 2 onboard Intel pro 1000 - one says model CT the other says model MT.

Thanks in advance

Eco,

Which exact model of "IBM eServer" do you have?
  • Options
    I resolved this out on my own. I figured I'd post my findings in the event someone browsing has the same question.

On the server end you setup link teaming with dynamic link aggregation. Both NICs have to have identical settings, in which case Intel creates a virtual NIC much like a port-channel interface which you can assign an ip address.

On the switch side you setup an EtherChannel with LACP in mode desirable. With a 3550 you can do either IP, TCP, or MAC. With a 2950 you can do MAC.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've got an IBM x series that I have running via the same config you do. It's mostly useless for me because I never need more than a single link to the server but it's good practice to configure it.

Good job solving your own problem. Where did you source the info you needed?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    ziggyziggy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Eco wrote:

On the switch side you setup an EtherChannel with LACP in mode desirable. With a 3550 you can do either IP, TCP, or MAC. With a 2950 you can do MAC.

Just need to clarify on that Eco.

Is "LACP in mode desirable" correct. I thought Cisco Etherchannel configuration was either Cisco Proprietary PAgP (Auto or Desirable) or IEEE LACP (Passive or Active). Or were you referring to the trunk link negotiation as desirable for DTP ?

Not nitpicking icon_wink.gif just wanted to get my head clear on this.

TIA
    Zig
  • Options
    ziggy wrote:
    Eco wrote:

Just need to clarify on that Eco.

Is "LACP in mode desirable" correct. I thought Cisco Etherchannel configuration was either Cisco Proprietary PAgP (Auto or Desirable) or IEEE LACP (Passive or Active). Or were you referring to the trunk link negotiation as desirable for DTP ?

Not nitpicking icon_wink.gif just wanted to get my head clear on this.

TIA
    Zig

You're correct. It's LACP Active. At the time I was trying to get the same setup working with PAgP and must have confused the terms. Good eye.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Good work on finding the solution to this yourself :)

We have numerous servers at work teamed up in exactly the same config! Albeit on different switches

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP