New here

drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about going for the CCENT or CCNA. I'd like to get the CCNA but I like the idea of the CCENT as a baby step.

I have plenty of networking experience, and the 70-291 Microsoft exam was my strongest score (900). My buddies at work say I should just go straight for CCNA, but I have a new baby (6 weeks old) so I have no time and get no sleep! icon_confused.gif

So I probably won't start studying for a couple of months, but I wanted to dip my toe in and start looking around.

I used TechExams Technotes heavily as an aide when I passed my Sec+ a few months ago. It would have been smart to have done the Sec+ before the MCSE, but oh well!

Later!

Drew

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only downsides of the two-test route are that you have to pay for an additional test and make another trip out to the test center. If those things don't bother you, you might as well take baby steps. All the equipment, books, etc. are going to be the same.
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Welcome Drew! I myself am taking the two step route. So far it's working quite fine for me. I passed the first one at the end of March, and am taking the next one next week (june 28 ) so wish me luck icon_wink.gif

Come back often and let us know how you're progressing.

Oh, and congrats with the new baby! First one? It does get better and you get used to the late nigh/early morning meal calls. Mine is 2 now and he still likes to wake up in the middle of the night and yell for mama or papa. icon_lol.gif
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The upside to the two exam route is you now get another line to add to your resume -- the CCENT.

But if you're already in IT and doing networking and have your resume already crammed with good experience, you might not have room for a "baby cert" like the CCENT anyway -- which is why most experienced people would take the one exam route.

But having a new baby probably would make it a good idea to stick with baby steps for now and get the baby cert. Plus studying for two exams gives you more chances to say "can you get that diaper? I'm in the middle of a chapter." icon_lol.gif

And with the two exam option, hopefully you'd be past the "new parent sleep deprivation phase" and be reasonably well rested to study for the harder ICND2 exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Use your new baby as practice for getting no sleep for your exams :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the replies - I ordered the Odom book today as a "first step." I figure I'll review that and see where I need to get stronger.

The baby is my first icon_eek.gif

Studying with the baby is going to be pretty hard, so I figure I will read the book for a while until things calm down!

Thanks again!

Drew