Options

Physical Disk vs. Logical Disk Counters

MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
I'm still having trouble grasping one topic. When it is it best to use a physical disk counter as opposed to a logical disk counter. For instance, I can't figure out when it would be better to use Physical Disk%Disk Time instead of Logical Disk%Disk Time to determine if there is a hardware issue?

Can anyone answer this question?
I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Physical Disk refers to the actual hard disk drive in your system

Use these counters when tracking problems with ALL partitions(volumes etc) on ONE disk, to monitor things such as slow disk writes/reads or disk queue length

Logical Disk refers to a partition or logical volume where there can be one or many on a single drive or spanning multiple drives.

Use these counters when tracking problems with ONE partition on ONE/MORE disks, to monitor things such as free space and usage.

As for Disk Time it depends what its concerning, if its ALL partitions use Physical Disk, if its just ONE partition use Logical Disk. (Unless of course there is only one partition on one disk then either would show the same)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Thank you. That cleared up my confusion.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day