Options

remote desktop and vpn issues...

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Ok

got a work laptop, that I can connect to my lan at home. Now I can't change the internet explorer proxy settings so I have been using firefox.

I can connect to my wifi, but I can not send traffic off my network. For some reason I can only see local machines... Still haven't figured that out, but not a really big deal.

I have been hard wiring the laptop and I can get to anything on my network and anything on the internet.

Here is the real issue, I hardware the laptop. After this I can connect via remote desktop to the work laptop from various machines on my network. However once I launch and connect the vpn (on the work laptop) I can no longer remote desktop to the work laptop from my own network.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THanks
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are your DNS settings? If DNS is misconfigured, you won't be able to access anything from the internet, but you'll get local machines because of NetBIOS broadcasts.

Also check your VPN settings. I believe it defaults to using the gateway that the VPN connection sets up. If this is the case, it will not be able to access your local machines because it will literally be coming in from the internet, and I assume you're behind some sort of NAT device.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote:
    What are your DNS settings? If DNS is misconfigured, you won't be able to access anything from the internet, but you'll get local machines because of NetBIOS broadcasts.

Also check your VPN settings. I believe it defaults to using the gateway that the VPN connection sets up. If this is the case, it will not be able to access your local machines because it will literally be coming in from the internet, and I assume you're behind some sort of NAT device.

Thanks for the suggestions... But I know DNS is good because DNS resolves when I am hard wired, but doesn't work right when I am on the wifi (just the work laptop). Also, everything is linux on my network save the laptops and a few virtual machines (so netbios is not really a player)...

I will check the vpn settings if I can. I am locked out of some of the settings on this machine. I am sure I could hack it, but it is not my laptop.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is a common issue and it is probably a setting that needs to be changed to allow you to access your lan when you connect to the vpn. Which VPN software are you using?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    To me it sounds more like a routing issue with the vpn. Starting it up may be screwing up the routing table? I would recommend checking there. With the vpn running can you access your network from the work laptop? As for the wireless issue I would recommend reseting the router to defaults and rebuilding it rather than searching for what setting could be causing issues there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/