How is the exam scored?

estebanfestebanf Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody out there. I'll take my exam tomorrow and I feel I should pass it (crossing fingers here). My question is about the passing score. The FAQ says that I need to score 764 over 900. The exam is supposed to be 100 questions. Am I right assuming that each question worth 9 "points" and I should have at least 85 questions right?.

Thanks
Reality.sys is corrupted
Reboot the universe? (Y/N) _

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not necessarily. After questioning Comptia I was told that there may be some questions in the 100 that are not scored. This leads me to believe that either they have say 90 questions @ 10 points, or maybe there are different weightings for some of the questions.
    Comptia with its CIA type attitude refuses to neither confirm nor deny icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • estebanfestebanf Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Uhmm... doesn't sound good.... I guess the only method to be complety sure you will pass it's to be really sure about 90 questions then before clicking "End Exam" icon_confused.gif
    Reality.sys is corrupted
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    You'll never be "really sure" about 90 of them. icon_wink.gif

RussS: I didn't think I missed 18 questions and if they score the exam the way you explained it, then I may have only missed 11 or 12, which sounds more like it. I went back and could actually remember questions I wasn't sure of, so I've been looking up answers and sure enough, I've found that I missed around 8 or 9 that I wasn't really sure of when I tested.
    Well.. I just took the exam and passed with 892... now I have no idea how I got that score icon_confused.gif

But whatever... this exam is over.. next goal: MCSE icon_wink.gif
    Reality.sys is corrupted
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations!

892 icon_cool.gif ... if all items are scored, 100 questions 8 points each... you missed only one question icon_thumright.gif (scale 100 - 900, 99x8=792 + the 100...) The same calculation works for other scores mentioned in this forum as well, it is always dividable by 8 if you subtract the 100 you already get for free.

To pass the exam one would need to answer 83 questions correctly, which I think is prett fair considering the topic.

LostinSpace, that would mean you missed it by three question...
    That makes sense... I think I missed a question about symetric file encription....

BTW, I don't agree about what i've read in this forum. Almost all my question were pretty straighfoward and did't find any with multiple possible good answers....
    Reality.sys is corrupted
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congratulations on the pass estebanf.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    icon_pirat.gif BRAVO!! Your comments are very positive and encouraging despite all the negative attitudes most techies have about these exam. What resources did you use? icon_wink.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
    I used the best resource available: Real life experience icon_wink.gif

But to the exam preparation i choosed Sybex Book and Boson exams. For this particular exam Boson test explanation was very complete and useful.... And sybex almost always do a very good job with their books.
    Reality.sys is corrupted
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats, estebanf!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    LostinSpace, that would mean you missed it by three question...

Don't remind me... icon_confused.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I wasn't trying to remind you, I didn't realize you knew it was three...

My theory about the score calculation doesn't fit this new post though as 872-100 -772 and is not dividable by 8...
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3747
    It could mean that, like RussS said before, not all 100 questions are always scored.
    icon_study.gif Thanks mate! Fast reply, must be in rapid deployment.

[quoteI used the best resource available: Real life experience
    ]
    Mmmmm icon_scratch.gif Now we have a problem. With all those letters seems you got plenty of experience. Apparently books,exampreps etc we can buy but we can't buy experience. crash.gif I've been slithering behind networks and i got some basic experience. Currently studying cisco online. Do COMPTIA really mean it when they claim no prerequisit but recommend Network+? icon_eek.gif Is it really really that hard. icon_silent.gif [/quote]
    My pc has run berserk. Someone installed 2000 for multiboot rendering my previously installed & secure XP Pro useless. As always bad things happens in two's. I had already broken the XP Pro cd in an earlier incident. The 2000 is so full of viruses(w32 type), it needs a blood transfusion. Its gut wrenching when i reminisce my XP Pro in which i had won these battle. It was as safe as a bank vault untill that fate played its part. Cheked event viewer and have a feeling these is the work of an evil mind (hacker).I've been trying to restore it from 2000 using explorer using the sysrestor or reparation disk. The XP still exists and either way i've got to get it back. Its got plenty of my resources. Any advice from the pros would be highly appreciated.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup - take a ghost copy first before you do anything.

You will need to get an XP disk somewhere unless you have built a 6 floppy boot set. Next, see if you can remove the partition that W2K is on. Then use the disk or floppy set to run the repair console. Run fixboot and you may be able to get into your system.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Thanks RussS icon_confused.gif
    Somehow someway gotta an XP cd, started installing but the whatever kept corupting files during installation. Suddenly good ol experience struck me. I'd once started xp using the cd in a similar circumstance. When it restarted with the cd to continue setup i punched the keys first enuff to choose my XP(2nd time,1st happenned like lightening didnt give me the chance(whatevers i guess) Think its got something to do with installing 2000Pro for multiboot after XP. Either way i'm quiet sure the 2000Pro contain whatevers.Yesterday no one could surf sick thing was in bad shape. But nothing to worry my good ol XP is back and running, already updated virus definations and just left it to do its thing icon_thumright.gif . By the time we get home every one will be happy i guess.
    Do COMPTIA really mean it when they claim no prerequisit but recommend Network+? Is it really really that hard.

Yes. Security+ assumes knowledge of most things on the Net+ exam.
    I don't think the content is very hard. The problem is that security has a huge scope and there's a lot of content in the questions. But the exam itself is not a difficult subject. Maybe comptia in the future would like to split the content in two different examns. If so a lot of more people would get certified.
    Reality.sys is corrupted
    :D Thanks for the feed back, I'm just trying to assess the enemy. I'm working from my xp.(Its safer than a firevault in an offsite location) icon_cool.gif . Got home and found sweet norton had dealt with the terrorists. 14 in all including trojan horse from the 2000 partition i guess. 12 dead 2 captured(2 files, virus name:W32.HLLW.Gao(WATCH OUT FOR THIS DUDE)).Apparently these two joined other pockets of the same that were already in Quarantine. Feels good to be on top of the game. Just wanna create an image of XP.Cant count my luck next time.Supprisingly Norton has the feature. icon_wink.gif Thanks for your helpfull ideas.Back to study. icon_study.gif