Freelance Work

DaikosDaikos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So with Summer comes a halt in classes and I've found myself with considerably more time on my hands than before. I'm looking to earn some extra money outside of the job I'm already working and would like to do freelance IT work I really don't care what. It could be computer repair, computer building, small network set up, home network installations, you name it I can do it and would be willing to do it.

So far I've only been able to get a few job offerings from friends at work who needed computers fixed or friends of family. I've tried advertising myself in Craigslist but nothing came of that. Could anyone suggest better methods? I do live in a populated area and near a big city so I'm sure there is a client base out there. What would be the best way to reach them?

And what would be a reasonable price to charge? I really have no idea what a competative but fair price would be.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Post up signs at local colleges and universities. You'd be surprised how many people there need computer work done, including teachers.
    Good luck to all!
  • DaikosDaikos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Post up signs at local colleges and universities. You'd be surprised how many people there need computer work done, including teachers.

Unfortunatley I go to the Rochster Institute of Technology one of the biggest tech schools on the east coast. Not many people will pay for computer help on campus. icon_sad.gif
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Then I am afraid you may have to do it for free in come cases. Get a part time job somewhere else and keep doing some freebies on the side, youll gain experience and some recommendations, no doubt.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • DaikosDaikos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Then I am afraid you may have to do it for free in come cases. Get a part time job somewhere else and keep doing some freebies on the side, youll gain experience and some recommendations, no doubt.

Well I'm doing this more for money (although partly experiance) since I have a full time internship and a part time job at the moment hehe
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Daikos wrote:
    Pash wrote:

Well I'm doing this more for money (although partly experiance) since I have a full time internship and a part time job at the moment hehe

I completely missed that part, sorry. Ill pipe up if i can think of anything.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Daikos wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:

Unfortunatley I go to the Rochster Institute of Technology one of the biggest tech schools on the east coast. Not many people will pay for computer help on campus. icon_sad.gif
    That might be the one you attend, but what about the dozens of other colleges and universities in the area? I'm with HP here, blanket the liberal arts and student union buildings with flyers. :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    I'm with HP here, blanket the liberal arts and student union buildings with flyers. :)

Hey now... I'm working on a liberal arts degree... icon_redface.gif
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not knocking arts. Just they are more likely to require help with computers than engineers and computer science geeks.

You're expected to know the inner workings of my mind (your doing psych right? :P) and my wife is supposed to be able to explain the wonders of post-apartheid South African literature. Neither of those require the ability to replace a broken hard drive or install a scanner.

I just figure he might get more hits by canvassing up an arts school than MIT.