Options

win 95 boot question

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Can't get win95 cd to boot via cd on gx280, but xp will. Missing drivers for cd-rom? if so how to I boot up to a blank sata drive?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You'll need to go buy an IDE disk. Sorry no support for SATA as a boot volume in pre-NT O/S's. You can always use it as a second drive once it's installed though.

http://www.alexander-price.com/computers/sata.htm
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Astorrs you need an IDE CD-ROM drive, SATA was unknown back then.

You can also try booting from a floppy disk, you can create your own bootable floppy.

You will need to manually create this, using sys.com to make the floppy bootable, then you'll need to configure your Autoexec.Bat and Config.Sys to include drivers such as MSCDEX (for CD Rom).

I used to play around with this alot in High School, but this are the stuff I can remember on top of my head.

http://www.geocities.com/rick_lively/MANUALS/COMMANDS/M/MSCDEX.HTM
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:

You can try booting from a floppy disk, you can create your own bootable floppy.

You will need to manually create this, using sys.com to make the floppy bootable, then you'll need to configure your Autoexec.Bat and Config.Sys to include drivers such as MSCDEX (for CD Rom).

I used to play around with this alot in High School, but this are the stuff I can remember on top of my head.

How is that going to help if he wants to install on a SATA hard drive though?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

You can try booting from a floppy disk, you can create your own bootable floppy.

How is that going to help if he wants to install on a SATA hard drive though?

What OS is he trying to install? 95 or XP?

As soon he runs setup, you have a key "F6" you need to press to install additional drivers, which then you can specify you SATA drivers.
  • Options
    According to the first post. Windows 95.

It's easy to do with any NT based O/S (Windows 2000, XP, etc), but with the old Win9x family as far as I know it's impossible (but I'd be happy for someone to correct me).
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's Windows 95?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    royal wrote:
    What's Windows 95?

An operating system used during the time of the 1800's
  • Options
    I don't even think 95 supports SATA based hardwares, it barely supported USB.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    What's Windows 95?
    That's like your classic line: "What's <insert obsolete technology here>?"
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    royal wrote:
    What's Windows 95?
    That's like your classic line: "What's <insert obsolete technology here>?"

icon_lol.gif
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    jbaello wrote:
    I don't even think 95 supports SATA based hardwares, it barely supported USB.

There are "drivers" for at least one or two controllers out there. But, I don't think that will help the OP out of the problem of adding the drivers to a new installation.

One idea and it used to work would be to install Win95 on a IDE drive, add the SATA controller drivers and the drive after the install is complete, and then image the IDE drive to the SATA drive. It might work.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol install XP and run 95 in Vmware unless it's a customer who is requesting 95 god knows why they would
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you really absolutely need to run Windows 9x then at least use Windows 98 OSR2.

Don't even go near Windows Me...
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    What's Windows 95?

More appropriate should be What's Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 icon_rolleyes.gif

Its amazing how many W98 and Server 2000 computers are still out in production sites just working away. Still brings a smile to my face everytime I boot 98 and plug in a different monitor.... Windows has found new hardware blah blah blah.... please insert driver disk blah blah blah ... Have not seen a 95 computer for 6 years i guess..
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    SWM wrote:
    Its amazing how many W98 and Server 2000 computers are still out in production sites just working away. Still brings a smile to my face everytime I boot 98 and plug in a different monitor.... Windows has found new hardware blah blah blah.... please insert driver disk blah blah blah ... Have not seen a 95 computer for 6 years i guess..
    $ show system /full
    OpenVMS V6.2 on node {clipped} 24-JUN-2008 02:13:09.16 Uptime 280 11:47:33
    VAXstation 4000-90

17 years later and still running strong in production (24x7x365).
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, next stupid question, working with 98 se now, My comp won't boot from cd, Yes I have the boot sequence set right. This is a IDE hdd and Cd-rom. Should I add cd-rom drivers for this machine to my boot disk?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you sure the CD is bootable? I remember not being able to boot of the CD for some version of Windows, but it's been so long, I can't remember the details. I thought you still used a boot floppy.

If you can copy the files to the HD, you can run setup from there as well. You can either put the HD in another machine or find a boot floppy/CD that'll load a CD-ROM driver for you.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote:
    Ok, next stupid question, working with 98 se now, My comp won't boot from cd, Yes I have the boot sequence set right. This is a IDE hdd and Cd-rom. Should I add cd-rom drivers for this machine to my boot disk?

If you are going to install Windows 98 SE this is how I did it back in the day.

Create a Win98SE boot disk, you can easily do this by downloading a software package from the following site:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Boot to the floppy disk and make sure you have the Windows 98 CD in the drive. There will be an option for CD drive support, hit enter on that option.

type in FDISK at a command prompt and then partition the harddrive.

You may or may not have to restart at this point, it has been a while since I have done this so I can't remember off the top of my head.

type in Format C:

After the drive format's type setup and the Win 98 install process should start. Alternativlely you could copy the cab files from the Win 98 CD onto the drive and install from the HD for a faster install.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2