Options

MS Press, 70-431, Mirroring Page 630...help

savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I've got a question on the mirroring practice instructions in the ms press book 70-431.
I followed the instructions provided in the wizard, and it came up to the Service Accounts page. I left it blank, as step 11 on page 632 says it is optional. The instructions did not say how to determine the Service Accounts.

I completed the wizard which configured the endpoints successfully. Then I clicked on "start mirroring" and got an error saying I was missing the Fully Qualified Domain Name. The wizard configured the "address" as:
TCP://hp-PC:5022 for the principal
TCP://hp-PC:5023 for the mirror

I have a default instance, and a named instance.
The default instance is named: HP-PC
The named instance is called: HP-PC\SERVER2

The popup error message said the address should be something like:
TCP://hp-PC/<domain_segment>:5022

What is the domain_segment, and how can I determine it? I am running on a single pc, with Vista.

Thanks...!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It looks like SQL is confused because it is the same PC and it is expecting different names. Try using your IP address for both.

But with what seemed to be networking issues in the log shipping lab I wouldn't be surprised if there was an issue with this lab as well. :-/
  • Options
    I also suspect that it is querying DNS for HP-PC and not finding anything. So using the IP address should fix that.
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.

What would I need to substitute with the ip address? The "//hp-PC/" part? Or "//hp-PC/<domain_segment>"?

I apologize if I am asking what seem to be very elementary admin questions, but I am not an administrator nor do I work with networking and the like.

Would the address be something like: "TCP://123.45.67.890:5022" ????

The 123.45.67...etc would be the IP address. Next question would be identifying my IP address.

But wouldn't that depend on being connected to the internet? Suppose I was running this on a pc without an internet connection, in which case there would be no ip address, correct?

Appreciate your replies!!!
  • Options
    Your connection to the Internet does not matter. Even if you are not connected to any network you should be able to use your loopback address. (127.0.0.1).

The domain segment will not matter if you are using an IP address. What I suppose is happening is that SQL is trying to use DNS to resolve your computer name, HP-PC, to an IP address. If SQL cannot use DNS to resolve HP-PC it will assume it needs more information, IE the domain segment of a fully qualified domain name HP-PC.somedomain.com Since DNS is used to turn this into an IP addrss, just entering the IP address should fix the issue.

So try TCP://127.0.0.1:5022