Options

Join Forest or Join Tree??

SanKuKaïSanKuKaï Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello there!

Maybe someone can answer this: Imagine you have several domains called paris.mycompany.priv, london.mycompany.priv and madrid.mycompany.priv. They were all standalone domains and now you decide to gather them all in the same object or logical structure. This logical structure will be called a tree or a forest? Adding a new domain the new formed logical structure (let say beijing.mycompany.priv after extension in Asia icon_wink.gif) would be called "join tree" or "join forest" then?

Thank you for your answers!
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You would have three trees. The reason is because let's say the first domain in a forest you create is paris.mycompany.priv. If you had child domains under at, it would be something.paris.mycompany.priv. paris.mycompany.priv would be your tree root. In this case, it'd be your forest root as well if you're creating a brand new forest. Because all your namespaces have the same amount of levels, they would be their own tree.

So, in your situation:
    1 forest
    3 trees
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SanKuKaïSanKuKaï Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the quick answer!!

So I have to understand that all depends on the first object you create? Then this object becomes by default the Root Forest. What if mycompany.priv is the allocated DNS name? It becomes the Root Domain then paris.mycompany.priv and the other domains are child domains and part of tree?

Maybe I am mixing things...

Thank you anyway!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    royal wrote:
    You would have three trees. The reason is because let's say the first domain in a forest you create is paris.mycompany.priv. If you had child domains under at, it would be something.paris.mycompany.priv. paris.mycompany.priv would be your tree root. In this case, it'd be your forest root as well if you're creating a brand new forest. Because all your namespaces have the same amount of levels, they would be their own tree.

So, in your situation:
    1 forest
    3 trees

Royal is correct but this is not proper naming convention in an MS domain in your example, SanKuKaï. This is why you are getting confused. You should use the DOT (.) to seperate domain name spaces. So in this example paris.mycompany.priv should be a sub domain of MyCompany.priv. Imagine I have MyCompany.priv and then open an office in PAris. I need to create a new domain that is a part of MyCompany.priv, I name the domain PAris and join it to the existing tree and the full qualified name is Paris.MyCompany.priv. I then open an office in Asia and join the Beijing domain to MyCompany and it is then Beijing.MyCompany.priv. MyCompany is the root domain and Beijing and Paris are seperate branches of that tree.

If you create a new forest and name the first domain Paris.MyCompany.priv you are violating naming conventions and Admins and Engineers who come after you or have to work with your company will be confused and this is also why you are confused yourself.

It goes [NAME SEGMENT].[NAME SEGMENT].extension

Here is an image that illustrates this:
    http://images.devshed.com/af/stories/Domain_Importance/image15.jpg