Options

A Good Story

2»

Comments

• Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    I can tell you from that interview you didn't get the job.

I hope they don't call back because I'm going to say...

"THE DRIVER VERSION WAS 1.711 RELEASED ON 02/21/2008, GOOD DAY SIR" and hang up.

That would be funny.Someone that expects you to know that off the top of your head is probly not someone I would want to work for.Seems like they are just looking for you to make a mistake.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I have to go with Mishra on this one. My last boss was just the kind of guy to ask such a question. He would have been looking for two things from the response. 1) Are you honest and dependable -- can you admit you don't know of the top of your head without hesitation. 2) Are you dedicated and hardworking - can (and will) you try to find the answer.

A simple "I don't know of the top of my head but I can certainly look it up when I get up home and email you that information if you like" would have been the kind of response he would have wanted. Thay way he knew that on the job you would be upfront with him if he asked you to do something you didn't know how to do and that you wouldn't be afraid to dig in and figure it out.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drainey wrote:
    I have to go with Mishra on this one. My last boss was just the kind of guy to ask such a question. He would have been looking for two things from the response. 1) Are you honest and dependable -- can you admit you don't know of the top of your head without hesitation. 2) Are you dedicated and hardworking - can (and will) you try to find the answer.

A simple "I don't know of the top of my head but I can certainly look it up when I get up home and email you that information if you like" would have been the kind of response he would have wanted. Thay way he knew that on the job you would be upfront with him if he asked you to do something you didn't know how to do and that you wouldn't be afraid to dig in and figure it out.

I think his answer was fine - "it's the latest version". That says "I keep my computer updated". If he knows enough to keep it updated, and he knew what brand and specs it was, do you really need him to say "I can find out" or wouldn't you just assume that?

Again, I think it was a dumb question. I bet the interviewer didn't know his own driver version on his own home computer. When you ask a question at an interview, you're supposed to already know the answer. You don't ask a guy to figure out a subnet mask and not know the answer yourself.

But all opinions are valid and I just need more coffee this morning. :D
    All things are possible, only believe.