Options

Cisco lab - fractional T1 interfaces

crtplaguecrtplague Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I know this is not directly certification related but I have a burning question about hooking up Cisco fractional T1 interfaces back to back:

In my home BSCI lab, I'm trying to create an OSPF stub area by hooking up two Cisco 2611 routers both using fractional T1 CSU/DSU interfaces with a T1 x-over cable. All the configurations are correct on both sides (clocking, clock rate, DCE/DTE, b8zs, esf, frame-relay encapsulation, line build-out set to "none", etc, etc). Ok, no problem there.

I played around with this for a while trying to get the two interfaces to come up but still showed "down & down" status. I Googled for a while and found the solution: "use a longer T1 cross-over cable". This fixed the problem and two interfaces came right up. My question is: why would a 20ft T1 cross-over cable make any difference compared with the 2ft that I was using before??? Both are known good working cables. I don't get it, why would the longer cable make everything work. Do the interfaces sense if there's a slightly higher attenuation? Cisco layer1 voodoo?

Any explanations would be great.

thanks!

crtplague

icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you know the original cable was good? I use 2-3 ft cables in my lab and don't have any issues. There is a setting to configure the cable length to short which may change things (lower output gain).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It works like a thermos... Magic! icon_lol.gif
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    crtplaguecrtplague Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The original cable works fine when I use it between two T1 interfaces on a pair of old Netopia routers. Guess I'll trying playing around with the line build-out.

Thanks!