Options

Good info on mixed lab

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

Ive read a couple of posts that its possible to link your real-router/switch lab to a virtual one in Dynamips. Are there any good starter tutorial on how to do this, and generally using Dynamips for good labs? I am using GNS3 at the moment. I dont mind setting up an extra box just for Dynamips, just need some articles/reading material to learn how to do so :)

Thanks!
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey kpjungle,

Have you actually used dynamips before? The tuturial/notes that come with it describe how to bind an interface to your actual NIC on the host PC.

Is this what you mean?
  • Options
    he-man wrote:
    Hey kpjungle,

Have you actually used dynamips before? The tuturial/notes that come with it describe how to bind an interface to your actual NIC on the host PC.

Is this what you mean?

Hi, yeah, I downloaded it on my Linux box because I read it was pretty CPU intensive, so I didnt read anything else than skimming over the MAN pages, but I never got it up and running without the use of GNS3.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get it running in windows without much CPU churn. You just have to find good idlepc values. I can get up to 15-16 7206vxr's running on a dell optiplex with barebones windows xp. Windows environments are pretty easy to understand for most users and binding virtual macs to real interfaces is a lot easier.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote:
    You can get it running in windows without much CPU churn. You just have to find good idlepc values. I can get up to 15-16 7206vxr's running on a dell optiplex with barebones windows xp. Windows environments are pretty easy to understand for most users and binding virtual macs to real interfaces is a lot easier.

Okay, will try it out without GNS3, it seems to crash alot. I dont know if its GNS3 or Dynamips, but when i try and reload a router, the console access to it, wont work.

Thanks for the info, will try out Dynamips without GNS3 tonight.

Update: The reload thing has a natural explanation. The reload command is not supported by Dynamips, which you see in the log when just using Dynamips.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had great success with Dynamips for one router, but any more than that and my computer freaks out... And it is not a lightweight.

AMD x2 64 5600+
    8GB RAM

But I was thinking maybe it was because I had been using it in 64bit windows.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Could be the 64bit windows, but have you tried using the ghostios option?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.