Options

Xen Training

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone here ever taken a Xen training class?

If not, would you take one, and if so what would you expect to learn in a 3-5 day class? (I know I can look at Citrix's site at course outlines, what I'm really looking for are the expectations of technical people that are familiar with virtualization).

I have it on good word from a well-connected source that the virtualization market is heating up over the next 2-5 years even more so than it is now. Some big names are behind Xen. One of these is where my source works who indicates that a large part of their 2 year strategy is focused on the virtualization market and competing with VMware.

MS

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll probably end up taking it so I can say I at least have some experience in the big 3 (VI3, Hyper-V, XenServer). As for content, I would expect the 2 day XenServer course to cover just the basics, how to install how to create VMs, managing networking, etc.

You would want to add the 2 day Citrix Provisioning Server (PVS not CPS, that's taken) course (which I've been waiting for them to offer outside of Florida - not that my family would mind a trip to FL for a few days) so you have an understanding of Ardence - this is one of the coolest technologies I've ever played with (as soon as they bought XesSource everyone went "wouldn't it be cool if they integrated Ardence into that?". Sure enough it was the second thing they did after rebranding it). That integration is what puts them ahead of VMware in some respects, there's just enough other ones (in my opinion) to put them a notch or two below overall for your average implementation.

That said, you'd get better short term returns from VMware and the VCP, they still own the enterprise (and for good reason) at the same cost and time allocated to training.