Options

Failed PW0-100 twice

Failed the exam for the second time today.

Heres the breakdown from the first time:

802.11 Network implementation: 25%
Radio Frequency Technologies: 78%
802.11 RF Site Surveying: 71%
802.11 Protocols and Devices: 58%
802.11 Network Security: 50%
802.11 Regulations and Standards: 90%

And from today:

802.11 Network implementation: 33%
Radio Frequency Technologies: 71%
802.11 RF Site Surveying: 71%
802.11 Protocols and Devices: 70%
802.11 Network Security: 66%
802.11 Regulations and Standards: 50%

My big mistake in preparing for my second go at the exam was not focusing on my weak points and just reading through the book again and doing PQ's.

After giving the book a once over again I should have focused on Network Secuity and Network Implementation.

Reading this now I feel like such an idiot because I was obviously poor in Network Implemention. If I just focused on that I would have passed today.

The materials I used were:

The Book of Wireless 2nd Edition by John Ross
CWNA Study Guide - Sybex
CWNA Official Study guide

Going on holidays for a couple of weeks and was planning on starting preperations for the CCNA when I came back. Now I don't know whether I should give the CWNA another go or just start the CCNA when I get back.
"There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ugh. Sorry to hear about the fail.

How do you feel the official study guide does on it's own? I have this scheduled for next week, and I'm barely going to make it through that. I have a decent amount of experience, but your story kind of shattered my confidence.

Have fun on your holiday. I think you should wrap up your CNWA before you move on. It's just going to be more difficult to get back into later on.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I don't think anyone should use just one resource for this exam. (Although you did say you have a decent amount of exp.)

I found the Sybex study guide easier to read than the official.

A lot of the questions on the exam will be situational.

i.e. ABC company wants this, this and this, what hardware, security requirements are necessary that are from the 802.11 standards (as amended) etc.

Now this is just me..

If I had a week to study using the Official Study guide I would focus on chapters 7,9 and 10.
    Make sure I know the EAP types as they relate to 802.11
    Make sure I know 802.3 Clause 33
    Standards in general.

I don't have any work exp. with wireless. Just exp. setting up and troubleshooting SOHO devices.

I've decided to do the exam again after I get back, would be too much of a waste not to.

Good luck next week. Looking forward to seeing your "I passed" post when I get back! :)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    Well I have Transcender too, so that might fill in a little bit, but it's not going to make up for two books. The official guide is definitely a drag to read. I can only do about 10 pages at a time, but maybe it'll improve once I get out of the extremely technical RF stuff. I'm much more familiar with the configuration and security side of things; it's all the nitty-gritty RF details that are making me nervous.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    I must say that hands-on experience with physical wireless devices, GUI management interfaces, and wireless client software on both Windows and Linux is invaluable for getting you through the exam. There's nothing vendor-specific on the CWNA or CWSP exams, but the experience will help you in choosing correct answers.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Dynamik, does your wife ever see you?? you take an exam every other week it seems and must spend all of you time studying. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    We just had a two week vacation a month ago. I'll probably do something with her again next year too *sigh*

Maybe I talk about doing an exam every other week. For better or worse, I'm not a freak like astorrs. I just can't wait until I'm done with school (May '09); then I can get really get serious.

Hopefully I can make some decent strides this summer. We'll see...
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Back from my holidays a few days ago.

Will start back into my studies again today.

Hopefully by the end of August I'll have achieved CWNA.