Options

Terminal Services

SanzaSanza Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Evening,
What might be a problem if a users profile does not get deleted when a user logg off from the terminal.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are you using to delete the profile? It does not happen automatically.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes can you clarify what you are seeing vs. what you are expecting?
  • Options
    If I logoff on my terminal, I think the locally cached profile should be deleted rather than System Admin deletes it for me.

I will clarify more when I am at work
  • Options
    Okay, if you're using roaming profiles enable the following GPO setting:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

If you're using local profiles and want to clean them up daily (or weekly, monthly, etc) to prevent them from filling up the disk have a look at DELPROF.EXE
  • Options
    thanks for that info. will try it and give feedback. More information wil be appreciated
  • Options
    Sanza wrote:
    More information wil be appreciated
    Maybe understanding "why" you want to do this would let me be more specific. Why do you want your profile removed in the first place?
  • Options
    Full Clarity: Sometimes when user log off on TS, his profile is not fully unloaded thus leaving a Locally Cached Profile on Server. To resolve the issue, you need to reboot the server to release the process/thread with the handle to his profile.
  • Options
    Ah thats a different problem and not related to the profile being deleted, just the users registry hive not closing properly and therefore hanging the unloading of the profile (and keeping locks, etc).

Install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean) on all your Terminal Servers and the problem should disappear.
  • Options
    Thanks,

Last question or simmilar:: HOW TO PREVENT CASHING OF PROFILES ON THIN CLIENT SERVERS?
  • Options
    Sanza wrote:
    HOW TO PREVENT CASHING OF PROFILES ON THIN CLIENT SERVERS?
    I'm not sure I understand how your question differs from the previous one? What are you referring to as "Thin Client Servers"?
  • Options
    UPHClean is helping me here. The one I have is V1.6d.
    Is this the current version?
  • Options
    Yes that is the current version. There is a beta for 2.0 with support for x64 as well, but stick with 1.6d unless you have a need (i.e., you're running 64-bit terminal servers).
  • Options
    I tried UPHClean and I still get the problem. Is there any utility that I can use?
  • Options
    Are you using pure Terminal Services or an add-on (e.g., Citrix, Provision VAS, etc)?
  • Options
    I am using pure TS.
  • Options
    Okay well that keeps it simpler. A few questions:

This is Windows Server 2003 32-bit right? Service Pack?

Does this happen for all users or only some users?

What kind of profiles are you using? Local, roaming, mandatory, some form of hybrid (e.g., Flex)

Is there anything in common about the times it happens (e.g., a particular application is being run)

Do you know which process (the name of it) is "sticking" after the session is supposed to disconnect?
  • Options
    1. This happens on all users. No specific users
    2. we using roaming profile
    3. Tried to trace if it happens on a specific app but cant find anything. Common time, not sure.
    4. Process. I suspect System Process.

I have been asked to investigate this for my training. And I am told that this has been happening since they implemented TS.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance these far.
  • Options
    No problem, these are always fun (even if they're a little hard to solve this way sometimes).

Given that answers #3 and 4 don't have a lot of detail (since you don't have any :)), can you tell me what the error is, basically how you know its happened. Is it only when the user logs back in? What happens then? etc. We need to narrow it down.
  • Options
    I am not given enough info here. I guess it happens when a user logoff and it is slow to logoff.
  • Options
    Can you ask someone for more details about the problem? Find out if there are any errors that pop-up, what happens when the user tries to login again later (prior to a reboot), etc.
  • Options
    Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still use by other app or services. the file will be onloaded when it no longer in use.
  • Options
    Hmm, that's exactly what the UPHClean service was designed to fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

Can you verify it is running in services.msc?
  • Options
    I just checked it and it is running.
    I think I should just give them a report about my findings, GPO and UPHClean and tell them that unfortunately this has been implemented and its the current version.

According to them, this problem has been arround for sometime and microsoft also looked at it.

So they have to leave with it.
  • Options
    Ok, I have been asked to give all users full access to their profiles. I have more thatn a 1000 user profile and it will take me sometime to apply such permission individually.

Is there a way I can do this faster?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Write a script to use cacls?

Credit goes to sprkymrk for this script originally.

for /f %%x in (c:\temp\secedits.txt) do cacls %%x /e /g %%x:f
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/