My current predicament.

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
Well folks, my job hunt is ending unsucessfully. I have been hunting and unfortunatly i dont have what the employer's are seeking right now. So I am going to have to commit another 4 years to the Air Force. What i plan on doing is going back to school and getting my BS in computer information systems. There is a school on base that offers a degree that will also use my Air Force credits, and MCSE towards that degree. Another thing i plan on doing is trying to cross train to the 3c0x1 career field (computers).
Unfortunatly with the AF the minimum commitment i can do is 4 years, so now i am perplexed as what to do with my CCNA certification. I am curious, do you guy's think i should carry on and try to get it right now? Or should i wait till I only have a few years left so it wont be expired when i am getting out again. Also, keep in mind that i will now be going to college, so the chance to study hard for it wont be very good.. What do you guy's think..
Anyway, As of tuesday i will do the deed again and swear myself in for 4 more. Dont worry i will still hang out here and try to help whoever needs help.
I appreciate all the advice..
Xinxing is the hairy one.


  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I'm sorry to hear that pandimus. But what is it exactly that the employers are seeking? Is that BS stuff getting in your way, becuase you've got great technical credentials?

    And after you've spent all that money and effort on your routers, I don't think you should quit. "You might" just need that CCNA someday. And you could always pursue your CCNP, CCIE while at the AF right (and have that GI bill cover it).
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Sorry took so long to reply, spent a long day in LA yesterday..

    I didnt mean to quit the CCNA forever, just put it off till closer to the end of this enlistment like 3 years from now, so when i get out it wont be expired..

    Oh yeah, employers are looking for either a degree or experience, IMO. Perhaps if i had more time i could find a good job, but unfortunatly i need to support my family.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Hey! Glad that you're going to hang around. I enjoy your posts.

    No doubt, first things come first--got to take care of the family.
    Sounds like you've taken the wiser path.

    Best of luck on the degree!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • blackguymdblackguymd Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck in whatever u do
  • Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey, good luck and be safe...i sometimes think i shoulda joined the military myself, better future such as jobs and benefits but scared to join...but im going back to school again to get a bachelors in cis or maybe bs in it, take care
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I for one think you deserved a top-job after all that hard work.

    If you are sure you won't need your CCNA for the next four years I think it would be wise to put it off for 3 years or so... unless you take a CCNP exam within 3 years of passing your CCNA, which would renew your CCNA. But 4 years is a lot in IT, at the time you pick it up again you may be studying for a revised exam.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I heard from a friend that they just dropped the reenlistment bonus for 3C's. It was maxed out @ around $60,000 for a long time. With your credentials, it's still hard to believe that you can't find a very good job.

    good luck on the cross training
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Thank you very much folks.. I must admit i is kinda hard in the fact that i couldnt find a job, but i suppose, i will go ahead and work on that cross train.. Yes, they did drop the bonus, but that is not my concern. If i can get over there at least i will be working with computers and not planes. I have already decided to put off the CCNA for exactly the reason you mention. It would expire so would be a waste of my time.

    But for some good news.... My wife was just accepted to UCLA, so now i will go to school in my offtime and she will go down there, and hopefully after she can support me :)

    I have decided to liquidate my books as of this weekend so i will post a link for them on ebay.. Do you guy's think that it is wise to sell in bulk or individually?

    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I don't know much about dealing in books. I'm more of an accumulator than a seller!

    But, do want to send a congrats to your wife on the upcoming UCLA adventure. I can see that you guys are going to go far!

    Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • TechGeekProTechGeekPro Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would sell them individually. Good luck! :)
    Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Unfortunatly i am considering selling off my lab too. It is still in debate, but i think i might get more for it now, considering the equipment is slowly getting obsolete. If in the future i need to get the equipment again i could always just rebuy it. Also, i am not too sure how many changes in the industry will be that i cant use that equipment any more.. What do you guy's think? If i do, i will sell it as a lab.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
Sign In or Register to comment.