Options

Where the jobs are...

2»

Comments

• Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Screw those states. I love tech, but I have no love for the places they named as the top places. Too many people and too strict gun laws for my tastes.

Ditto! I'm doing quite fine right here in Georgia where they just expanded the places you can carry concealed.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    LOL, no offense to gun owners, but I do find it funny how many people think carrying a gun is that important. I have never been in a situation where I now look back and think, "man, I wish I had a gun at that moment". I'd have more use for a generator in case a hurricane or ice storm hits, and I don't own one of those either.

But then again, I won't consider moving anywhere that doesn't have good broadband service, so to each his own. LOL...

About DC, I lived up there for about a year. The traffic does suck, and so does the cost of living. However, sometimes I wonder if moving away to a smaller IT market was such a good idea.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    LOL, no offense to gun owners, but I do find it funny how many people think carrying a gun is that important. I have never been in a situation where I now look back and think, "man, I wish I had a gun at that moment". I'd have more use for a generator in case a hurricane or ice storm hits, and I don't own one of those either.

But then again, I won't consider moving anywhere that doesn't have good broadband service, so to each his own. LOL...

About DC, I lived up there for about a year. The traffic does suck, and so does the cost of living. However, sometimes I wonder if moving away to a smaller IT market was such a good idea.

None taken. The situation you've described is most likely a once in a lifetime event.

I hope that I never have to say "I'm glad I had a gun at that moment". What I hope more than that is to ever regret not having one when needed.

The event in Texas that was the catalyst in passing the concealed carry law involved a guy driving into a Luby's restaurant and shooting and killing 23 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre

Many of the survivors indicated that if they had been armed, that the gunman could have quickly been stopped. One survivor had a pistol in her car, because at the time in Texas we were allowed to carry in a car only traveling across counties.

Not sure how a thread about jobs turned into a discussion about guns, but I enjoy the free-flow nature of things like this.

For the record, most US States issue concealed carry permits once specific criteria are met. Some jurisdictions allow open and unlicensed carry, and a couple of states allow concealed carry without any kind of permit.

MS
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    For me it isn't so much about thinking it important that I carry a gun around as it is not wanting to live under the thumb of a bureaucratic nanny State that would deny my right and access to the means necessary to defend myself or my family.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technowiz wrote:
    For me it isn't so much about thinking it important that I carry a gun around as it is not wanting to live under the thumb of a bureaucratic nanny State that would deny my right and access to the means necessary to defend myself or my family.

+1 well said
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We have a pretty steady market here in Alaska. I have never been unemployed or had to look for work. I have always been contacted by another company and moved to bigger/better things.

We also have a decent housing market if you dont mind driving 30 minutes to get to work.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Technowiz wrote:

+1 to that and what eMeS said. I have been in a situation where just having it on me has helped. Didn't have to pull it though. When it was first introduced it had to be visible when you were driving in a car. Well needless to say one day some HUGE guy (at least compared to my 105lb 5'6" small self) tried to cut me off and almost hit me in the process. We were both able to stop before there was an accident but he burst out of the car screaming, hollering, pointing and started to walk up to my window. While he was doing this all I did was stretch backwards like I was stretching my arms over my head. Since I had my (stainless steel and brightly polished) 1911 in a shoulder holster when I stretched the handle of it moved up to where he could see it. The moment he caught a glance of it he shut up and got back in his car and went about his marry way as did I.

There have also been other times I have been in a bad area at night that it is just more reassuring to know that I have it if I need it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Technowiz wrote:

+1 to that and what eMeS said. I have been in a situation where just having it on me has helped. Didn't have to pull it though. When it was first introduced it had to be visible when you were driving in a car. Well needless to say one day some HUGE guy (at least compared to my 105lb 5'6" small self) tried to cut me off and almost hit me in the process. We were both able to stop before there was an accident but he burst out of the car screaming, hollering, pointing and started to walk up to my window. While he was doing this all I did was stretch backwards like I was stretching my arms over my head. Since I had my (stainless steel and brightly polished) 1911 in a shoulder holster when I stretched the handle of it moved up to where he could see it. The moment he caught a glance of it he shut up and got back in his car and went about his marry way as did I.

There have also been other times I have been in a bad area at night that it is just more reassuring to know that I have it if I need it.

It's comforting to know that the strangers surrounding me in the convenience store have the power to end my life instantly.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Technowiz wrote:

It's comforting to know that the strangers surrounding me in the convenience store have the power to end my life instantly.

bowing.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The moment he caught a glance of it he shut up and got back in his car and went about his marry way as did I.
    Perhaps a car horn that sounds like a shotgun chambering a shell would have been equally as effective.

If you guys want to talk about how liberal the Florida gun laws are then please take it to an Off-Topic discussion thread--or better yet to a different Web site.