Auto MS updates across the web Yes or No

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have always thought that the beauty of a SUS server is to test a system with MS updates to see if it falls over or not and of course send the update sto the PC's, am sure its happened many times were an MS update has crashed a PC but not sure how often

In my new job all the PC's which are used to design and make console games get updates direct from MS, is this a massive NO NO

Lee H

Comments

• az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it's a major issue...especially if they are using XP or Vista for their development machines. It's much more important to test updates (espepecially service packs) on servers running mission critical applications.

I would be cautious in pressing the issue because testing all updates before approving them can consume many man hours.

At my former job we used SUS mainly to control bandwidth. We had T1s that were maxed out so we had all the clients at a site only get their updates from their local SUS server.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Get WSUS if you want to reduce the amount that is downloaded and if you want to be able to control who downloads what and whether its applied or not. So the answer is yes, if you've got a domain then you should get WSUS.