Options

Second interview?

steveo1985steveo1985 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been asked back for a second interview for a service desk role. The first interview was with the head of the service desk department and one of the team leaders in the department.

They've asked me back for a second interview this time it's with someone else. Someone from the HR department and another person. What happens in a second interview? what type's of questions do they ask? I'm a nervous guy but for some reason i wasn't in the 1st interview as i had another inteview for a different company earlier that day...

Im not sure how to plan for this interview

any help would be greatly recieved! :D

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    From my experience the second interview usually consists of meeting with higher management and/or HR that is usually more of a formal procedure than anything. They usually ask a few situational questions such as "how would you handle this situation blah blah blah." Not usually anything technical from these in my experience.

Just relax be confident and respectful. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks I got asked questions like that in the 1st interview too. I think i'll plan answers to possible questions so im not caught out... I was hoping it was just something like telling me more details such as holiday entitalment, salary, other things like that?? also in the last interview i got to meet with all the current employees in the service desk about 10 people.

Also I hear back today about the other job i interviewed for, They are only having the one interview so i'll find out if i have the job today. My problem is how do i accept the job? but hold out to start on a later date untill i hear back for this company (second interview company)? I'm saying this as i wouldn't want to turn down the job if i don't get the other one but, the other job is better.. room to move up within the company, one of the largest companys in the UK, more money etc...

Its a hard one :P
  • Options
    I would just accept the off as you don't know what may come of the second interview. A sure thing is always good to have. You can always call back and decline the first offer. Most employers have a 90 day probational period because things like this happen all the time.
  • Options
    thanks thats good advice :) the job is offering 12K a year and the other job is offering 18K a year (second interview).

Thanks for the responce i think i'll accept the job (if offered :P) and still do the interview.. and see what happens from there :)
  • Options
    12k and 18k are these part time gigs? That salary is pretty low even for help desk. I know I couldn't take care of my family (or even myself!) with that kind of salary.
  • Options
    they are both full time jobs, the 12k one is a IT support role working for a company that gives support for AD/exchange but this role is a trainee role. The other is a service desk analyst role for 18K plus over time pay.

This is a first time job and im in england :P 18K isn't bad for a first IT job, but 12K isn't that great.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 12K - 18K is in pounds not dollars... not bad for 1st job
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    12k and 18k are these part time gigs? That salary is pretty low even for help desk. I know I couldn't take care of my family (or even myself!) with that kind of salary.

He mentioned the UK, so I'm guessing those aren't US dollars. If that's right, those are going to be closer to $24k and $36k here.
  • Options
    yeah thats correct its in british pounds
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    steveo1985 wrote:
    Ok I was going to say that was extremely low!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    steveo1985 wrote:

so wait, you're from the UK? icon_wink.gif sorry, had to do it...too many people playing the repeater on this thread.

hopefully you land the 18k pound job.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't think about the conversion of pounds to dollars. Good luck!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could have really thrown us off and posted it in tons
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I guess 7 ton isn't a bad starting salary icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Just got back form the interview, i'll find out early next week if i get it. I was very nervous and there were some questions i found hard to answer because i just couldn't think clearly... Anyway i've sent thank you emails to the people who interview me and i'll wait to find out... (didn't go aswell as the first interview)

I got a responce to the other interview the 12K (english pounds :P) and they are deciding between me and another candidate, so maybe called back for a second interview for them.

Just an update :P

interviews are very nerve racking lol
  • Options
    dave_ne1dave_ne1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where abouts in the UK are you based Steveo1985, 12k (british pounds) seems a little low, how much IT experience do you have?
  • Options
    I dont have any experiance. Im looking for my first IT job. Yeah it is very low but, an added bonus is they are going to pay for MCSE exam and material to revise for it. Plus it will give me some experiance and i can work up from there.

im from the south west
  • Options
    dave_ne1dave_ne1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steveo1985 wrote:
    I dont have any experiance. Im looking for my first IT job. Yeah it is very low but, an added bonus is they are going to pay for MCSE exam and material to revise for it. Plus it will give me some experiance and i can work up from there.

im from the south west

well good luck with it all :)
  • Options
    I got the 18K job!!! start next monday :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice! Congratulations!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on getting the job!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    steveo1985 wrote:
    I got the 18K job!!! start next monday :)

yet another person finding a new job. My congrats to you! Good luck at your new position!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on landing the job! :D
  • Options
    lol now i just have to get through the 1st day nerves :P

do any of you guys know about the training your given in your first service desk role?

or are you thrown in the deep end so to speak :P
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steveo1985 wrote:
    lol now i just have to get through the 1st day nerves :P

do any of you guys know about the training your given in your first service desk role?

or are you thrown in the deep end so to speak :P

Congratulations!! Always good to see success stories.

All companies are different, but they should train you, maybe have someone shadow you for a little bit until you get the hang of it on your own. I know its hard starting a new job, but you seem willing and eager to learn and remember that is very important - you will do fine!

Good luck.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The several tech support jobs I've started at they had between 4 - 8 weeks of training. Usually the tail end of that would be transitioning you into taking live calls. But it all depends upon the place you work. One place they gave us a week of training and then wanted us to start alternating, taking calls one day and then training the next day and so on and so forth. It did not work out very well at all because the first week of training was basically this is what our company is about and this is what our product looks like. But we survived and moved on. It all depends upon the company though. My last tech support job had great training for people who didn't know much about computers or were slow learners.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    thanks for that last reply :) not so nerves now...