Options

What would you do?

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
I'm posting a lot in the job forums because I'm on the edge of getting one lol...

Right now I have 2 jobs lined up:

* Firedog Part-time making $8-9 (until I begin working on computers) and 15 minutes away from home.

* A small company starting up needing technical support for their product(obviously will train me on their product) making $9-$11 and 30 minutes away from home.

Now your in my shoes, which way do you go?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What is the product? Anything enterprise level would probably look a lot better on a resume than Firedog.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    But on the other hand the experience he gains at Firedog may be better since it would be working with a wider focus.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I wouldn't think the experience gained at Firedog would be very impressive on a resume simply due to the name Firedog/Circuit City.

On the other hand, supporting a product that is used in the enterprise environment would be more impressive (even if more narrow in scope) allowing for more career advancement opportunities.
  • Options
    slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you would gain a lot more experience with circuit city because you will be fixing all sorts of software/hardware issues with computers. You will also learn how to handle issues with irate customers. The technical support "phone job" sounds ok, but because you will only be supporting their product, it may limit your experience.
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'd go with Firedog and consider it a temporary learning experience. Network and make good impressions while there and start immediately looking for a better job.
  • Options
    The second job is for a company that makes Labeling Machines, they are fairly new(2007)... It's basically a computer/thermal printer combo it seems. They are hiring one entry-level tech to learn their product and help companies who use it with any technical problem they have via phone and on-site.

For the FireDog job they say I'm required to work the sales floor near computers for 1-2 months. Then I get the $1-2 dollar raise and can put on that bright ass green shirt and actually work on computers.

It seems the second job is more of a gamble, I mean the product might actually do well.

Both say they can be flexible with my school.

Thanks for the input so far :D

• Options
    A labeling machine product isn't really going to give you much relevant IT experience so I would go with Firedog in this situation. I would keep looking for better opportunities though.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whats the growth potential with the second company. If its a small startup and you are one of the first on board that could be a big upside for advancement if they do well
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Whats the growth potential with the second company. If its a small startup and you are one of the first on board that could be a big upside for advancement if they do well

"We are looking for an outstanding individual for a ground floor opportunity and someone to become an integral part of the company. You will not be a number, you will be an important part of our growth. Full or part time."

This is a quote from their advertisement...

Obviously a small company starting out has a lot more growth potential then a position at a retail store, but it is risky and if it falls apart I probaly will not be able to fall back on the Circuit City job.

Right now I'm leaning on Firedog but I have till Thursday to make up my mind. And I'm still job searching so who knows what will pop up...

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have to ask, what sets their product apart from the already flooded market for label printers?
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I would advise you to seriously take a look at Circuit City.....they are on the verge of bankrupt. In one year, their stock has gone from 15.17/share and closed today at 2.55/share. Not my kind of company. I realize that times are getting hard but that’s an indication that something is very wrong. Their sales growth is -5.5% over the last year and their income growth over the last year is -200%???? Forget CC!!!

I would take the job with the company that makes label machines. I had to learn how to setup label making printers with software in a lab environment. Taught me a lot and it was kind of fun. Plus I had to do all the desktop support (PC & MAC) and server support (5 Windows 2003), SAN Support (Compaq & EMC), backup, etc…

You get the picture.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    cbigbrick wrote:
    I would advise you to seriously take a look at Circuit City.....they are on the verge of bankrupt. In one year, their stock has gone from 15.17/share and closed today at 2.55/share. Not my kind of company. I realize that times are getting hard but that’s an indication that something is very wrong. Their sales growth is -5.5% over the last year and their income growth over the last year is -200%???? Forget CC!!!

I would take the job with the company that makes label machines. I had to learn how to setup label making printers with software in a lab environment. Taught me a lot and it was kind of fun. Plus I had to do all the desktop support (PC & MAC) and server support (5 Windows 2003), SAN Support (Compaq & EMC), backup, etc…
    You get the picture.

Yes I understand Circuit City is horrible in sales and their stock price is just pathetic (I mean even Blockbuster was considering buying them out icon_rolleyes.gif )

But as a store this one does pretty well, as I said it is in a pretty "high-class" area near a "high-class" mall and their is not a Best Buy near it. So if they began closing stores down, this one would not be in the first batch.

As for the Label Machine company they deal with a few food stores right now, here is a quote from them:
    Database driven with your products and your specifications

Automatically calculates all item shelf lives

A complete hardware and software package

Ready to use as soon as you open the box

Simplicity of one label for all your labeling needs

Color coded or white labels

Any size or type of label, including removable & dissolvable

You determine the information on the label: Product, Shelf life, barcode, ingredients, and more

Ongoing tech support & product updates included

Easy reorder system for labels, including auto ship

As I said my job at this place would be to answer Technical Support calls and help via Phone or On-site with any problems with the computer and/or printer system.

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Im not sure and it depends on what you personal circumstances are but for some reason im leaning towards the second company but not sure why.

It is a gamble but if they pull it off your well placed to grow with the company, also theres no saying you cant assist with the general IT aswell as the tech support to widen your experience base??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    Im not sure and it depends on what you personal circumstances are but for some reason im leaning towards the second company but not sure why.

It is a gamble but if they pull it off your well placed to grow with the company, also theres no saying you cant assist with the general IT aswell as the tech support to widen your experience base??

Yep, I mean this company does have a Patent Pending so their idea must be original... And I would hate to turn down a job offer and see them become a solid company.

Gosh, one week I'm itching for an entry level job and the next week I have two good choices...

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was hiring for a nice desktop support role or junior sys admin role I wouldn't hire someone who worked on labelers... Or worked on vending machines, soda cans, monitors.

Just another opinion for ya.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I got both second interviews tomorrow so I need to make my mind up icon_sad.gif

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You don't have a job offer yet? You don't have to accept a job offer on the spot. It is very reasonable to ask for a day or two to consider.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    undomiel wrote:
    You don't have a job offer yet? You don't have to accept a job offer on the spot. It is very reasonable to ask for a day or two to consider.
    Unless it was a dream job I would never accept a position the day it was offered.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Well they are both entry-level jobs and I'm sure they have more then a few applicants...

Firedog's interview is at 11am and the other companies is at 3pm...

If Firedog offers me the job in the morning, I'd hate to be like "Well yah know, give me a day or two to think it over" and then they give it to the next guy. Because well it is a retail store...

• Options
    You can always except the offer and then change your mind later...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This sounds like a no brainer to me if you want to get a job that has anything to do with supporting computers. The additional pay for the other job is negated by the longer drive.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With Blockbuster's $1 billion dollar bid off the table, investor Carl Icahn's presence remains. The billionaire reportedly sent a letter to Circuit City informing the company that he would initiate a buyout if Blockbuster couldn't.

Icahn is a busy man these days.

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Blockbuster_drops_its_Circuit_City_buyout_bid/1215016273
  • Options
    That guys is like in the top 50 richest people in the world.
    Why does he even want to deal with Circuit City? icon_eek.gif

• Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Think about this, the second company sounds more user friendly. When your in the interview tell them what you plan to rise up to do, i.e what kind of certs you want, the job you eventually want to have, the kind of things you into. Maybe they will do more for you. Sure youll be doing tech support for a label maker, but if their a cool company that appreciates what you do, maybe they can assist you in your quest for more knowledge, a small shop is usually more helpful to the employee than a corporate giant like Circuit city. Give it a shot maybe you can start low and go high.
  • Options
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Think about this, the second company sounds more user friendly. When your in the interview tell them what you plan to rise up to do, i.e what kind of certs you want, the job you eventually want to have, the kind of things you into. Maybe they will do more for you. Sure youll be doing tech support for a label maker, but if their a cool company that appreciates what you do, maybe they can assist you in your quest for more knowledge, a small shop is usually more helpful to the employee than a corporate giant like Circuit city. Give it a shot maybe you can start low and go high.

This sounded nice :D

Thank you

Well as for the jobs tomorrow I have both interviews 11am and 3pm so ill see how they go... hopefully their both not really good, i hope i find a flaw in one of them that stands out like a sore thumb or my decision is going to be tough.

• Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    It might not work out and you may not like the company but at the interview I would definitley inquire about it, and don't go on their work alone, make sure if they say yes you pay attention to the tone, they wouldn't be the first employer to lie to get a potential candidate.
  • Options
    certifymecertifyme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go with the company and grow with the company. You can still get your certs and stuff then as the company grows you can move to other positions.
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Sometimes startup companies are a good opportunity. Next thing you know you might running the IT Support department if your good!!
  • Options
    Firedog offered me the job with decent pay, but part-time icon_neutral.gif

And the small company said they had interviews all this week and I was actually the last one... He mentioned that two other applicants had bachelors in computer science, which then I kinda scratched my head and though to myself "why would he even want to interview me, when he had a few resumes from recent college graduates." Although the guy was awesome, he was funny and down to earth but I did one big mistake...

When he asked if I had any questions about the product or what I could bring to the company. I asked about the hardware and different things with the software and then I ask "Do you have a web page designer? Because I could do that for you as well"(Because their web page is very basic and boring). He got a bit defensive and said something like "Well our product doesn't really need a web page, we network a lot thanks for your concern though." icon_redface.gif

I believe he took it as I was saying "Hey your web page sucks and I can fix it." When in reality I really just wanted to show him I can bring more to the company then just what they want...

Who knows what will happen I would like the job at the small company because it seemed legit and well done but I'll be at Firedog until they call me or I find something else.

• Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go with the small copany if you had the chance, I was in the same situation (worked for a printer reseller) even though it wasn't stricly ALL computer related most of the time it was. It also helped me reinforce my learning of A+ and Network+. Eventually that lead to the great ob I have now!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore