Options

FRAME RELAY flipping/flopping

calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I set up my 2521 as a frame relay switch.
then I set up my two 2501's as the DTE of the frame relay PVCs.
I have no problem getting my first router up and talking on frame relay.
The 2nd one though is experiencing a strange behaviour.
When I get the physical interface(s0) up the subinterface (s0.2) is down.
When the subinterface is up the physical interface is down. This doesnt make any sense to me. I have made sure the physical interface has no ip assigned. I have the DLCI on the subinterface set for the correct #.
I dont see how this can be so difficult on one router and so easy on the other. They are identical IOS versions, amount of ram, physical interfaces etc.
Any ideas?
pointers?
I'll post some configs and such when I get home.
thanks
studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    Abrown1966Abrown1966 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do your LMI types match? I seem to remember something form odom's ICND2 book about mismatched LMI types causes interfaces to flip flop up and down.

Alan
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply. according to my books (cisco press CCNA 3rd ed and the Todd Lammle CCNA 6th ed) the frame relay should default to Cisco (lmi 1023). Nevertheless I did go in and tell it to be cisco.
    Is there some other protocol or process that could be interfering in the link coming up?
    The only major difference between the two routers is that one is set up EIGRP the other RIP. I had the middle one (2521) redistributing.
    I think I may just wipe both of them and start over. But I am very busy with work this week, so I wont have time to re-config them for a week.
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.