Options

Interviewing for a better job while still employed

bobofgogbobofgog Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
The topic says it all. I'm in a bit of a tricky situation, as I respect my co-workers and don't want to take a bunch of personal days / leave early, etc to go to these interviews (nor do I want to have to constantly explain myself).

I have a couple prospects, one of which I'm more excited about, but is also earlier on in the interview process. Here's what I've got so far:

Both positions are Help Desk/Systems Support (about 50% phone support for both). Both would be about a $10-15k raise over my current job. Both were initiated by recruiters who contacted me after seeing my resume.

Job A is at the second interview phase. However, they want me to interview when I'm obviously supposed to be at the job I'm already getting paid for. I already took a day off for the original interview, and I don't really want to do that again (I hate calling in for anything).

Job B is past the phone interview stage, but is overall a much better company that seems to fit better with my goals (on paper). I also had a much better time speaking with the IT manager in that interview as he was much more personable. Job A's IT manager was a bit confrontational and abrasive, and didn't give me the warm fuzzies about that company. It almost seemed like he was trying to discourage me from working there ("you'd have to commute, the benefits suck, etc").

This is the first time I've had so many prospects (and with NO certs, how about that?!), and I'm caught behind a rock and a hard place. On one hand, I could use the raise, and both companies offer more challenges and opportunities to learn. On the other hand, I don't want to end up burning bridges at my current job, not get hired at any of the prospects, and then be unemployed simply because it's so difficult to take off time on short notice.

Ideas? I appreciate the input!

-Bob

Comments

• Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Well by your initial thoughts on Job A don't go with it... :)

Get a personal interview with Job B see if you like the place and go for it.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Any chance they can work with an off hours interview, I know many places that will do that.

If not I say you gotta do what you gotta do, I had to use a sick day or 2 for interviews before I needed the new job that bad and I lucked out. I wish you the best, Job B sounds better then A, having good management can be the tipping point of a good job or bad one.
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Well by your initial thoughts on Job A don't go with it... :)

Get a personal interview with Job B see if you like the place and go for it.

That is true. However, I don't want to pass up that good of a pay raise, either, if nothing comes of Job B. I'm probably going to go to the interview; I'm just trying to find a good way to get off of work at this point. I mean, with the way the economy is, an extra $10-15k a year would be a BIG help towards me getting more control over my finances.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, but since job B isn't guaranteed, I don't think he shouldn't pass up A at this point.

Go with both as long as you can. Just ask for some personal time off because you have to take care of some personal business. I wouldn't call in sick or lie about it, but just firm state that it's personal and you don't want to discuss it. It's not their business what you do on your own time.
    bobofgog wrote:
    (and with NO certs, how about that?!)

Blasphemy! You don't belong here! (joking)
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    have you try asking for a raise? and can you take half days?? usually if you get the job offer.. ive known alot of people that got higher paying job offers and their current work place matched it.. but thats not always the case..
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, but since job B isn't guaranteed, I don't think he shouldn't pass up A at this point.

Go with both as long as you can. Just ask for some personal time off because you have to take care of some personal business. I wouldn't call in sick or lie about it, but just firm state that it's personal and you don't want to discuss it. It's not their business what you do on your own time.
    bobofgog wrote:
    (and with NO certs, how about that?!)

Blasphemy! You don't belong here! (joking)

The problem is that my current company is already going to be short-staffed next week because it's vacation season. I feel like I'd really be screwing over my co-workers if I did that again (I already took one personal day). I'm sort of caught between my work-ethic, my fear of being fired, and my desire to get paid what I'm actually worth.

I'm working with Recruiter A to see if I can get a better interview time. I mean, I'm the commodity; they can work around MY schedule too, don't you think?
  • Options
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    have you try asking for a raise? and can you take half days?? usually if you get the job offer.. ive known alot of people that got higher paying job offers and their current work place matched it.. but thats not always the case..

Our yearly review was a few months ago, and you know much I got?

1.5%

This company is hurting from a lot of bad business deals, and EVERYONE got shafted on raises this year. Hence the reason I'm looking for something else. So I doubt I would get much, if anything, if I asked for a raise. I know they would try to match any other job offers, but I really don't think they'll match an offer that is more than what a guy who has been here 3 years is making.
  • Options
    Can't you just go in 2-3 hours early, take a long lunch, and then get back? Do you really need an entire day?
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    You gotta think about yourself.. if you really want it then its best to move on... i doubt your co-workers would take it personally. im pretty sure if they were in your situation they would do the same.. i mean vacation time also means slow business time right??
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Can't you just go in 2-3 hours early, take a long lunch, and then get back? Do you really need an entire day?

Honestly, I don't. The two interview windows I have are 8:15am or 4:30pm. If I work an early shift I could leave immediately after work for the late interview. This is currently my best option, I think, though I would't be all decked out in my uber business suit. Just business casual. Which, hopefully the interviewer would understand, given the circumstances.
  • Options
    Just leave your suit hanging up in your car. Punch the hanger through the bottom of a garbage bag and cover everything up if you're worried about people getting suspicious. Stop and change somewhere. Even a gas station would work, just watch where you step.

If you're serious about the interview, don't do it half-assed. Be resourceful. Good luck!
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Next time, take action! Tell them "No no, you make an appointment with me! Hows does 6:00pm my house sound?" icon_cool.gif :P
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Go with the hidden suit idea and make a Superman pit stop to change, you'll make a much better impression that way.

Best of luck!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    barry3652barry3652 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can take time off work for an interview by law (in the UK), but if you dont want to let your current employer know and its in working hours then you will have to take time off and forget about letting anyone down. Ask everybody who you work with what would they do and I guess you will get the same answer. If you get a less than inflation raise and they is jobs available then I guess your current employer will be expecting the good guys to go. good luck with the interviews.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I just interviewed for a job and they required my last supervisor be the number one reference. It sucked . But i had to be straight forward with him. He was cool, gave me an outstanding reference and told me anything else I need let him know. More than likely your company knows your looking for another job, but if you really do no want them to know, do like these guys have said take a change of clothes dip out early with a stomach ache or whatever. But if you have a good report with your boss, maybe think about shooting him straight, it might go better than you think. But then again, maybe not.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have any more personal or vacation days left. Just take one. They're yours.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    I did the same thing! I was working had a decent job but it was going no where. It was a great building block as I learned a bunch but they moved the head quarters from where I was to about 400 miles away so all the cool technology we got to play with went with it. I start looking for a job on the side and took lots of personal days to do this. End the end I finally landed a job with the state. Some times you gotta look out for yourself and I feel you are passing up a great opportunity. I'd say go for it!