VMware workstation 6

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guy's I download a trial of this software which I was pretty impressed with on the whole. The full version cost about £100/$200 which is a price I don't mind paying.

The feature that interest me most are the virtual subnet, is there any other software the same kind of price that I should also consider?

Also if you chose to have the machines isolated on your computer what is the best way to add software packages to the VM, I have two linux VMs in a team one suse one fedora machine that can ping each other but would be able to connect to the internet to download updates?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also look at the 6.5 beta. That's a free download, but I don't know how long it's good for.

You can set your networking options to bridged or NAT to get your VMs out to the internet.

I've heard good things about VirtualBox (which is free) as well, but I haven't used it myself. VMWare Server is also free. It doesn't have all the functionality of Workstation, but you can't beat the price. I use Workstation 6 myself.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also use VMware Workstation 6. I use it daily and for my entire test network/domain.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Also look at the 6.5 beta. That's a free download, but I don't know how long it's good for.

You can set your networking options to bridged or NAT to get your VMs out to the internet.

I've heard good things about VirtualBox (which is free) as well, but I haven't used it myself. VMWare Server is also free. It doesn't have all the functionality of Workstation, but you can't beat the price. I use Workstation 6 myself.

Yeah I want all the funtionality I can get :D I got them on the internet now using the NAT setting so thanks for that. I guess with 6.5 around it can't be long before they have version 7 but from looking on the website they let you upgrade from different versions to 6 so when 7 does come there should be an cheap way to upgrade.

I'm falling in love with this software (alright maybe not love), so I think it's gonna be workstation 6, it's just so cool can't wait to put it on my PC when my hardrive replacement comes, give that 8gb of RAM something to do
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    VMWare Workstation 6 is indeed very good, was going to remind you about the RAM requirements for VM's but with 8GB you should be fine for a while!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    VMware Workstation is in a class of its own. I've been using it since 2.0 days and there's nothing even close.

The ability to team virtual machines together and create virtual WAN links (with simulated bandwidth and latency) is invaluable. Also the snapshot/clone hierarchical tree you can create of VMs makes simple work of having tens or even hundreds of VMs to play with in various states of configuration.
    Ordered a copy today from the business centre at PC world and got free next day delivery icon_lol.gif

I'm glad I came across this, I wasn't to impresses when I first saw VM with virtual PC, I think a copy of this software and and all the free linux distros the internet has to offer makes for to good learning, Best money I've spent in a long time
    Don't forget to check out the Virtual Appliances (http://www.vmware.com/appliances/) that are already available. They can allow you to demo the various Linux distros (and lots of other things) without having to waste time with installations and initial setup.
    Ordered a copy today from the business centre at PC world and got free next day delivery icon_lol.gif

Was it on sale? You can buy direct from VMWare and get instant delivery icon_lol.gif
    Just download the eval right now, and get "instant" delivery. Then add the key to it whenever they send it to you. Why wait. :)
    astorrs wrote:
    Just download the eval right now, and get "instant" delivery. Then add the key to it whenever they send it to you. Why wait. :)

I got the eval on my laptop, but waiting for a hardrive for my desktop so no rush needed, Plus I want a hard copy of the software since i'm paying for it. Same price as of the website £112.

I tell you what I did see on offer dynamik, nero 8 for £30, I'm using something i'm happy with else I would have grabbed it off the shelf.
  • bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to install VMware workstation 6 on my laptop and I get a dialog box talking about differences between what CPU speed VMware sees and what vista reports.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1227

Should I really change it how it says it should be or can I just ignore the message.

VMware speed - 1648MHz
    VISTA speed - 1801MHz.

THanks,
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
    bogdan5 wrote:
    I'm trying to install VMware workstation 6 on my laptop and I get a dialog box talking about differences between what CPU speed VMware sees and what vista reports.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1227

Should I really change it how it says it should be or can I just ignore the message.

VMware speed - 1648MHz
    VISTA speed - 1801MHz.

THanks,
    If you don't the time in the VMs will drift badly (clocks in VMs are linked to the CPU timing).
    I get that message too, and I've never had any problems because of it.

However, mine's only off by a few mhz, not 150+ like yours.

If you experience the symptoms in the kb, then go ahead and play around with it. It looks like a pretty simple fix.
    All right, I'll give it a try.

Also, what's the best way to network my virtual machines if I would want to go out and connect to the public network like the library or something like that?
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bogdan5 wrote:

VMware speed - 1648MHz
    VISTA speed - 1801MHz.

THanks,

I actually had that same problem but VMWare reported speed = 800Mhz and windows = 2000MHZ, after the fix I noticed a definite increase in my Ubuntu VM. The difference in CPU speeds were mostly due to the power options within Vista to preserve battery life.
    Bridged or NAT. NAT would be more secure.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    What is the big benefit of vmware workstation compared to virtual box? I pretty much just use virtual box for my vm needs since its free and it works just like a regular machine. Workstation is pretty expensive to me so far unless theres some big benefit it has over virtual box. I haven't tried networking together with a vm on vb but it seems to find my machines connection just fine.

Appliances don't really seem necessary under virtual box since you install using either a disc image or with the actual disc in your cd rom drive. It kinda makes me wonder why they do the appliance thing under vmware player, unless it has something to do about saving space but I'd rather have the full machine installed rather then worry about whats been taken out.

I can't really try out vmware workstation right now, already low on space with my raptor and stuff.
    I changed the file and now I'm installing Vista. For some reason is taking forever to complete.

I want to put server 2003, another vista and xp on my laptop. It has 2GB Ram. Do you guys think that should be enough? Do I need to install anything else?
    Talic: Astorrs went into some of it above: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=235521#235521

It's by no means something you need. Download the demo and see if you like the additional functionality. edit: Sounds like it's time to burn some stuff to DVDs ;)

Bogdan: The Vista machines might stretch things a bit too thin for 2gb. Why do you need two? Assuming you have 1gb for the Host OS, you can get four VMs running at 256mb. Vista recommended is 512mb though. Also, they'll be a bit slow when you're doing a lot of disk-intensive activities like installations. They'll run much better once they're doing most of their operations in memory.
    Bogdan: The Vista machines might stretch things a bit too thin for 2gb. Why do you need two? Assuming you have 1gb for the Host OS, you can get four VMs running at 256mb. Vista recommended is 512mb though. Also, they'll be a bit slow when you're doing a lot of disk-intensive activities like installations. They'll run much better once they're doing most of their operations in memory.

We'll see how things will run when I put Server 2003, and xp on it. If something I'll use ReadyBoost . Thanks
    bogdan5 wrote:

We'll see how things will run when I put Server 2003, and xp on it. If something I'll use ReadyBoost . Thanks
    Speed of RAM ~5ns, speed of flash memory used in ReadyBoost >500ns. Yes its "better" than using a HDD, but another GB of RAM is going to run you what $40?