Options

E-mail Signature?? Frame it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    Put the certs in your signature only in the appropriate context. If I'm posting on an InfoSec Web site, it's appropriate for me to include SSCP, CSWP, and Security+ in my sig. If I'm posting on a Web site about beer making, or in some other non-InfoSec context, I should omit the certs (and substitute the name of my favorite beer instead bier.gif);
    I like that. But I'm proud of all my accomplishments, regardless of where I am. I'm going to start listing "CCNA, MCSA, Security+, Linux+, A+, and working on a case of 1554" in my signature on the left.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I put my name, job title, and contacts that's all. No I don't use frames or colors :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    The thought never crossed my mind to put my certs in my email sig.

I believe my paper certifications are still in the envelopes they came in somewhere in my office at home. When I start getting some more in depth certs, I may frame those.
  • Options
    IgloodudeIgloodude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My boss just told me a couple weeks ago that the company would pay for my exams only on the condition that I hang the resulting certs on my wall. icon_cool.gif Since a CCENT all by its lonesome would look pretty stupid, I put my MCSE+I and a couple others up there as well. But sigs? No, unless I was consulting again and the company wanted me to.
    Next up: MS Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642), CCNA (640-816)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Igloodude wrote:
    My boss just told me a couple weeks ago that the company would pay for my exams only on the condition that I hang the resulting certs on my wall. icon_cool.gif Since a CCENT all by its lonesome would look pretty stupid, I put my MCSE+I and a couple others up there as well. But sigs? No, unless I was consulting again and the company wanted me to.
    A friend of mine got told that he had to put up all his certificates. He decided to join church of the sub genius and put up the Doktorate of Forbidden Sciences cert as well. Nobody even noticed for months.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    In my office, our "MCSE" put his MS logo in his sig, so I have followed suit with mine. I took the Comptia logos and combined the Sec+, Net+, and A+ portions into one Comptia logo. I figured that way it's not stretched, lengthy, or overboard. The policy is generally no sigs additions unless it is a degree or pertaining to industry certs for your position. We also have a very staunch "ANTI" cert guy in our IT dept.... I see both sides of the arguement.

In this case, the IT departments have not been positively viewed within the company, so now that there is somewhat of a push to change that outlook. We are doing it this way to have End user awareness and that although we all know certs don't make you better/smarter, it is a benchmark that when work is done, people can associate that with training/certs to a certain extent.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always wanted to use my MCP pin as a tie pin. I'm pretty sure its lost by now, I'll have to steal my boss'.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • Options
    w4nn4b1337w4nn4b1337 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always wondered about this topic and never had a real feel for the etiquette of placing a vender certification on my email signature. I was doing it but after reading this it made me realize that my reputation is built on how well I do my job and not on my certifications. Although, I was nearly denied access to the network after earning the C|EH because nobody understands what it is and any mention of the term "hacker" makes people very nervous. It also made me realize that I may want to take that one off the resume as well. I studied pen testing so I can get a better perspecitve on how to design a secure network but some people get pretty worried at its mention. FYI, The C|EH gets very little respect and your sometimes treated like a criminal when other admins find out you have it. Just thought I would mention that.
    ::Something funny ironic goes here::
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Joining this convo late but quiet relevant really. I have to slam my companies ISO credentials all accross my email sig but nobody uses their IT cert credentials.

I do know people who put there certs in their email signatures (from other organizations) but with his certs i would put them in my sig as well.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i had a real long signature A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+,CCNA/CCDA,MCSA/MCSE lol
    now i have i only have CCNP,MCSE:M
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never used certs in my sig. I guess I just never thought to do it.
    As far as the paper certs go - I do have them framed and up on my wall in my home office. No one ever sees them other than my wife. I just like them up for motivation. :)
    I'm sure one day I'll grow tired of seeing them and retire them to a box in the closet.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I usually see people put CCIE or other high level certifications in their signature. I don't put CCNA in mine, but when I achieve a CCIE I'll put that :D

As far as framing, I agree with dynamik frame them all!

CCIE's are religious about their numbers. When I achieve mine, I will do two things -

Go to Vegas and blow some cash
    Get my number tattooed on my other shoulder

Other than my resume (which has them all), this place is the only one where I list my certs, and I only do that in order of importance (CCNP supersedes CCNA and Net+, so I don't list them). I feel that is warranted since it's a cert exam site and Johan kindly added a field for it to the template :). My email signature at work lists my name, work email address, and my official title and that's it. My signature for my personal email is nothing at all.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    whoever doent hang their certs on a wall do a favor to the trees and stop asking for the certification kits lol
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    whoever doent hang their certs on a wall do a favor to the trees and stop asking for the certification kits lol

But I still want the wallet card... icon_sad.gif

I can't even count the number of times I've used them while trying to strike up a conversation with a chick at a bar. Things won't be going well, but then I'll be like: *BAM* "MCSE BABY!" and she'll be all over me.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

I can't even count the number of times I've used them while trying to strike up a conversation with a chick at a bar. Things won't be going well, but then I'll be like: *BAM* "MCSE BABY!" and she'll be all over me.

LOL, now that made my daybowing.gif
  • Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have put the time and effort into getting certified you should show it and be proud of it. I do put my certifications in my signature although I have trimmed it to only include important ones such as MCSE, MCITP, CCA etc. I think it is especially important to include them in your signature if you are a consultant, customers like to see that you are keeping up with the latest technologies.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

LOL....gotta agree with qwertyiop, put a smile on my faceicon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was so happy to pass the 70-270 that I put MCP on the end of my sig (our CSRs have gone through licensing programs to have things like CIC on theirs). It lasted a week or so, before I got tired of coworkers wanting to know what MCP was and I thought it looked kinda stupid. Since I passed the 70-290 recently, I guess I should put it back on as MCPx2. :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest that you find an MCP polo to wear to the bar dynamik. That way, you don't have to whip out the card.

144951304v7_350x350_Front.jpg

And now I understand Dynamik's cert phrase and what MCSE really means.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    I would suggest that you find an MCP polo to wear to the bar dynamik. That way, you don't have to whip out the card.

I actually do have an MCP shirt. It says "Geek" on the front, has the dictionary definitions on the back, and an MCP logo on a sleeve. It is clearly irresistible to women.
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    And now I understand Dynamik's cert phrase and what MCSE really means.

Mark has a few more here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/exchange-server-office-communications-server-exams/15089-mcse-minesweeper-consultant-solitaire-expert.html#post94030
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I list mine in my signature because I worked my butt off for them and they provide value to my services. Often my clients see what certs I have and ask me for advice that they normally wouldn't because its not in the scope of work. I do not mind answering out of the box questions for someone if I can. If I didn't list my certs half of my clients wouldn't know they could even ask me the questions.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/