Options

I Don't Have Any References - What To Do?

proteus71proteus71 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not currently seeking a new job, but might after I get certified. Anyways, I would not have any work references to list. I have been working in my current job for 8 years. prior to that, I was in the military for 11 years. If I look for a new job, my current employer would not know about it, so I couldn't list anyone from there. I have lost contact with all co-workers from my military days. What would I do?

Comments

• Options
    Vassago68Vassago68 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as the Military is concerned, I am in as well. I am pretty sure they will just go off your DD214 as your "reference". That will basically tell them all they need to know. Course, I could be wrong. Hopefully some others here can shed light on it more then I could.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they ask for references tell them they can not contact your current employer until after you have been offered the position. Most places I have applied with ask if it is OK to contact references as they understand not everyone they hire is currently unemployed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed 100% with networker, I have always specified if I did not want them contacting my current employer.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Vassago68 wrote:
    As far as the Military is concerned, I am in as well. I am pretty sure they will just go off your DD214 as your "reference". That will basically tell them all they need to know. Course, I could be wrong. Hopefully some others here can shed light on it more then I could.

They usually want to talk to a supervisor from the military. I just give them my warrant officer and plt sgt as they both agreed to be references when I got out..
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Right after I got out, I used my superiors as references, but after a couple of years, a whole new rotation comes in...so I would just list them by name, and say unable to contact - military.
  • Options
    brad- wrote:
    Right after I got out, I used my superiors as references, but after a couple of years, a whole new rotation comes in...so I would just list them by name, and say unable to contact - military.

this is exactly what I was meaning. He has been out entirely too long to have numbers for persons to contact. So I believe in this case, the DD 214 would serve a lot better then anything else at this point. I don't see him being able to contact anyone if he didn't keep in touch.
  • Options
    Yeah he has been out too long, but I was just letting you know since you will be getting out.
  • Options
    proteus71proteus71 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting this many this quickly. So maybe not having references won't be the killer I thought it would. One question as far as my 214 goes. How would it work as a reference, doesn't it basically say honorable discharge and that's all (I must say it's been awhile since I've looked at it). Also, would I want to bring the 214 to my interview (like proof of certs etc)?
  • Options
    You can bring it if you want. I don't usually bring mine with me as they usually look it up themselves. I brought it for the first couple interviews, but I've never been asked for it.
  • Options
    An Honorable discharge says a lot to an employer. For one, it means you can make it through the rigors of the Military without getting in trouble, you are most likely more disciplined, and the best thing to an employers ears, you are more likely to take less sick days and the like.

Obviously actually references are always better, but a DD 214 with an Honorable Discharge is a very good thing to have.
  • Options
    I agree it is a good thing to have no doubt, but in my experiences they want to speak with an individual because they know as well as you and I that an honorable discharge goes to even the worst soldiers as long as they do just enough to not get booted.