Do you display your certifications at work?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I work in a office so this may be different than those that work in a cube environment, but I was ciurious if hanging your certifications is "tacky"? I am proud of the certifications that I recieved but I personally dont have any in my office. I have 2 microsoft certifications on my wall in my office at home but I packed the rest in a box. Mainly because the rest of my certifications from Comptia or vendors look bad to begin with.

Just curious.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All of my certificates are "proudly displayed" along with all the exams results printouts in a manila envelope that the first one came in. That envelope is "exhibited" in a filing cabinet.

Um, no.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Mine are either shoved into a storage box or scattered somewhere around the living room at home.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I think its kinda lame. I keep my cisco card on me for verification thou at times.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have scans of all degrees, certs, exam results, transcripts, etc.. on my computer. Originals are in the original envelopes in a fire safe in my house. Somewhere in there is a very ancient Novell certificate!

I also don't carry any of the various "wallet cards", or wear the lapel pins that get sent with some certs.

MS
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I've never been one to list qualifications gratuitously. I think people's opinions and statements should be judged on their own merit, not the certification list by their name...so I go with this:

Superduty, Turbodeisel, Triton V8, King Cab, Lariat, Off Road, 4x4
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've got a little shrine with each of my certificates mounted on a solid 24 carat gold plaque which is polished daily by my coworkers...

Seriously tho, nope. I don't bother to display any of my certificates.

The one item that is "displayed" in the office is an award for winning a company bowling contest from several years ago. I hadn't even started working here at that point and I'm fairly sure none of the others had either.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote:
    I also don't carry any of the various "wallet cards", or wear the lapel pins that get sent with some certs.

People like you are probably the reason they stopped sending out the lapel pins. Thanks a lot icon_sad.gif

I have all my score reports somewhere. I've scanned those as well. I haven't kept track of anything else. I'm sure it's all around somewhere, unless the cats ate/destroyed them.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    tiersten wrote:
    I've got a little shrine with each of my certificates mounted on a solid 24 carat gold plaque which is polished daily by my coworkers...

Seriously tho, nope. I don't bother to display any of my certificates.

The one item that is "displayed" in the office is an award for winning a company bowling contest from several years ago. I hadn't even started working here at that point and I'm fairly sure none of the others had either.

Come to think of it, my fantasy football plaque from my 2005 Champion season is displayed (just sits on my file cabinet) and my certs and degree aren't displayed... I think advanced certs and degrees look okay on the wall, but I had a guy at work with literally 50 different certificates displayed from training courses and everything... they made him take them down, that was tacky!
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have printouts of demotivators framed in my cubicle. icon_lol.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    If I were ever to receive the use of an office rather than a cube I would certainly decorate it with my degrees and certs relevant to my job. A little passive intimidation towards your co-workers can be a good thing, but there's nothing intimidating about a cube regardless of what you have on its walls.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I don't have an office, but even if I did, naw.

My certificates are all in a hanging file cabinet drawer in my desk.

I do carry the wallet card for my Microsoft certs simply because the MCP number comes in handy to have close by.
    Good luck to all!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am leaving my office soon as I will be moving contracts and traveling until mid 2009 where I get an office again hopefully.

Otherwise I would if I found cheap frames.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    no
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I use to scan all my certs and display them on the wall at work. Just because I work in an educational organisation (a high school) and teachers there think that if you're not a teacher you're not as smart as them. So whenever they asked a question and didn't believe my answer I just point to the wall.

Now a days I don't as we've had the room re-decorated and I haven't had the energy to put them back up :)

-ken
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    never
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Nope, no need to............... I believe in proving your worth via the work you produce.......

If people ask for verification then yeah I have them in my filing cabinet at home..... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I file all mine in a file cabinet in home in case anyone asks them for reference
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    filing cabinet at the house.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I proudly display mine in my office. It's a good thing too, because I have had several occasions where they caught the attention of the "big bosses".
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I do carry the cards just because I think they are funny. I don't think they're quite sturdy enough to card a door with though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I only have my CCNA and Network+ hanging on my cubicle wall inside of paper inserts. I have a few more but I figured these are pertaining to my position as a Jr. Network Engineer
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I have outfitted my frames with neon lights and a sound system that activates whenever you walk past my desk. Trumpets sound like from the Roman days, and it gives a detailed description of all my certifications and my scores, then confetti and balloons drop from the ceiling.

No, but I do have them on display at my home office/lab.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have outfitted my frames with neon lights and a sound system that activates whenever you walk past my desk. Trumpets sound like from the Roman days, and it gives a detailed description of all my certifications and my scores, then confetti and balloons drop from the ceiling.

You too! And I thought I was the only one....

I don't display at work, but would hang my CCIE plaque if I had one.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 4' tall trophy that says 'Certified Bad-Ass' on my desk; does that count? :D

nah, I just leave the certs framed on my wall in my den at home. Like I said before, I consider them good motivation to do more.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I do carry the cards just because I think they are funny. I don't think they're quite sturdy enough to card a door with though.

The Cisco ones are icon_wink.gif
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do not, as I only have a desk amungst my peers. I do have my complete collection of MS press books on my desk though. W2k3 core, 270, 620, 622, 298, 299. Looking to sell some! :^) I keep my certs in a 3 ring binder with the clear sleeve thingamajigs, it's almost full actually.

My 'boss' hass his MCSE, MCP+I, and MCP lapel pin on his desk name plate thingy in the bottom left hand corner. It looks kinda cool. That's really the only display of anything cert related here.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218

That might very well be the funniest post on these boards.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    no

Information about completed certs is released on "need to know" basis. Basically it is "don't ask, don't tell" attitude.

I have no need to polish my ego; it's already shiny icon_twisted.gif
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All my certs are filed in a box at home. Most people at work don't even know I have certs, and they never will without a reason.

I asked for on call coverage at work, as my last exam (which earned me an MCSA) fell on a Saturday during my on call hours. Because of this, I felt a need to stress the importance of coverage, so I mentioned that I had an exam scheduled. Upon return, my manager was a little surprised to learn that I had progressed that far in my studies, as I passed exams, but never told anyone. I figured that it would be important on my resume, or during my evaluation review, but not for display or show.

With this forum providing a level of anonymity, I feel more comfortable sharing here.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All my certs are in a box sitting in my closet. I don't carry the wallet cards, don't hang up my certs, etc... They are listed on my resume and that is it. I saw some guy who sent an e-mail to me that had 3-4 lines in his signature filled with certificates. I was disgusted. I think it's poor taste and somewhat arrogant (not completely arrogant) to list certs in your signature. Maybe one is fine, but when you start listing several certificates, gimme a break. Certifications don't make you what you are. Knowing your stuff is what makes you what you are. Do your job good and certificates don't mean squat. Just do your certificates because your job wants you to, to validate your existing knowledge, you need to make yourself more marketable for potential jobs, or to give you the motivation to learn.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks