Options

Working from home

wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
How many of you work from home? Do you like it? I found a job that would let me work from home doing remote assistance. Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I regularly work from home. The challenge will be to stay focused, do you have a room you can use as an office - where you can "go to work" everyday?
  • Options
    I don't have an office where I can go to, but I could make it work. Could you tell me what a typical day is like for you? Also, what happens if you need a day off?
  • Options
    Is this a salaried position, hourly or based on contracts?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Remember, astorrs is self-employed. You'll probably get fired if you spend as much time screwing around on the internet as he does ;)
  • Options
    It's based on "hours of remote time logged."
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work from home from time to time via VPN...it's more of a benefit where I work than anything. If you have car problems, feel a bit under the weather, or just don't feel like driving in (as long as you don't have meetings), my manager is generally lenient on letting us work from home. It's a privilege I don't abuse but unfortunately some people do.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    im one of those on call 24/7 guys so I regularly work from home. I have to balance my work at home and work at the office. For me I think of it as a double edged sword. You can get some work done if you in a pinch, and still be at home with the family. However, I'm one of those guys that like to get things done as fast as I can. Then apply Murphy's Law and you'll be at your computer for hours on end. Case in point, My first day of vacation, I spent 6 hours resolving issues remotely. My blackberry never sleeps :)

it sounds like your job is more structured time wise so it should be easier to handle.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work from home when I do programming contracts. I love it, although I probably don't do it the way I should. I usually end up putting it off and then pulling an all-nighter to get it done. It is freaking sweet though.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    wheely wrote:
    It's based on "hours of remote time logged."
    Make sure they will agree to a minimum number of hours per week or you could get royally screwed over.
    dynamik wrote:
    Remember, astorrs is self-employed. You'll probably get fired if you spend as much time screwing around on the internet as he does ;)
    smiley_biteme.gif
  • Options
    They also supply me with the hardware, which i assume is a laptop and the software needed for remote assistance.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    I occasionally VPN to my work machine rather than make the 20-mile drive into the office, but it's not a regular thing. However, if these gas prices keep climbing...