Passed Server+ today

heartlandheartland Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today with exactly 615. I was almost screaming out loud after I saw the score.

Anyway, pass is a pass, and my hard work really paid off.  

I have been reviewing the material on and off for a few months, and only had some time to concentrate this month especially the last 3 days thanks to Canada Day!

I work at the oil patch at fort mcmurray, Canada, so I usually don't have much spare time, getting up at 4:45 am in the morning and back home at about 7 pm, plus I have a part time job on weekends. Hard to survive with one low paying IT job at the most expensive city in Canada.

Over all, the test is a tough one. I used Exam Cram 2, and lots of questions are not exactly covered by the book. Many questions about PCI, PCI-X, ISA, SCSI, backup, and many scenario questions, and i had to isolate the least possible answers and used common sense and guesses.

For study materials, I also went to proprofs.com to get the study guide there, and took all the tests i could get from the internet free, and finished the questions with Cram book twice. This website also gave me lots of information about what book i should buy and what questions I would come across.

I have not been dealing much with servers, and my only experiences with servers are changing tape drives. If someone has similar background as I have, I would recommend you to read more and get more prepared before you take the exam. Honestly, I am not confident that I can pass it the second time tomorrow.

Wish everyone good luck!

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass. It's hard to get through certs like this without having hands on. I have had lot's of hands on experience with servers within the last year with my job so that helps but with all the servers we buy I would suggest buying a server off e-bay cause there not to expensive. You can get a 2u dl-380 g3 for 300-400 bucks that has everything but an os. Just my 2 cents.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

Fort McMurray "eh?", it is ridiculously expensive for the average person to live there these days, did you move there for the job or were you originally from there?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulatons!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job. Why the server+?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job on the pass!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • heartlandheartland Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

Fort McMurray "eh?", it is ridiculously expensive for the average person to live there these days, did you move there for the job or were you originally from there?

I got the job offer when i was in Edmonton. Better get a job offer before you moved here.

Thanks, Guys, for all the encouragement.

Why Server+? Because my employer wants me to be HP server Certified, and Comptia Server+ is the prerequisite. My employer only paid for the first time, if i failed, i would need to put down 240 C$ from my own pocket.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on the HP cert
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and good luck with the HP test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations :D It was a hard test!!
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Conglaturation!!!
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    heartland wrote:
    I got the job offer when i was in Edmonton. Better get a job offer before you moved here.
    Oh I wasn't planning on moving there, I was just curious it seems like almost everyone there came from somewhere else. :)