Connecting two old old routers together and much much more

oliverwoliverw Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Two questions really, although this is a long shot. I have two tut modems mxl 2300 (accient i know :D ). What i'm trying to do is connect to them using a db9 cable so that i can play about and eventually add them into my lab. Problem is i can't connect to them. I've got a manual which was printer off and it says connect just connect like a normal cisco router.. Tried that and failed. Wonder if anyone has come across these tuts before and wether it needs a specially wired db9?

Other question which might be abit more straight forward. Does anyone know of any step by step instructions on how to connect two net to net routers back to back using their rj11 ports. These were once used for eps9 circuits and when they were pulled out they were working. I can log on fine and i know the configs are good but a normal straight through rj11 doesnt work.

If anyone can help out i'd be grateful :)

Comments

• oliverwoliverw Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok i have found the problem with the console cable. I found some old documentation on the wiring needed to connect to one of the tuts.

As for a connecting two shdsl modems together im still left pondering. I know its possible as ive seen it done in the past. But no idea where to start other than plugging a rj11 between them but that doesnt do the trick. Anyway if anyone out there can help i'd be grateful.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    oliverw wrote:
    As for a connecting two shdsl modems together im still left pondering. I know its possible as ive seen it done in the past. But no idea where to start other than plugging a rj11 between them but that doesnt do the trick. Anyway if anyone out there can help i'd be grateful.
    Okay assuming these are older Cisco routers with G.SHDSL WICs (where did you find those? I've only seen a few and they were years ago) double check your configs against this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk274/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080135834.shtml

Standard RJ-11 two pair wire is enough for connecting them. I don't think those WICs can take advantage of the second pair to bring you up to 4.6Mbps though (some devices can), but it doesn't really matter in a lab anyway. :)
    Oh nevermind, I just noticed the MXL-2300 bit in the 1st post - kind of thought they were completely separate questions (it helps to read everything, duh...). Let me ask someone here.
    Okay he says it is the same for those (and wonders where you found an almost 10 year old modem, let alone two of them!) as for the Cisco WICs, you just need to specify one of them to operate as the CO, everything else is the same and a standard cable is all that's required (obviously). He can't remember the exact config since he hasn't used it since he worked on campus, but you should be able to figure it out. For Cisco IOS it's "dsl equipment-type CO".