Server

Paule123Paule123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Hoping i can pick your brains, i just can't quite get my head around this.

I need to setup a machine to be connected to our network to recieve a file at 3 times during the day. Once the file has downloaded it is configured to connect to a mail relay server and send out sms text messages.

Due to security restrictions im not able to send them out via our network. So to get around this i thought ok ill hook up an ISDN router to connect directly to the outside world and send the messages when required.

Now the problem is they want the network connection to disable when the ISDN router dials up and sends the messages.

I can use any Windows based OS for the machine so if theres a feature you know of that can do this that would be great :D

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will you be using a Cisco router. You can use a timer that will disconnect after X amount of time that no interesting traffic gets passed
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seems like you might could use any dial-up connection and use RRAS, configured not to accept incoming calls and hang up when finished.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy two on/off mains timers and a network switch. Put the ISDN modem and switch on each of the timers ;)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just configure the dial up connection to replace all active routes when connected that way no traffic will flow through the network connection. If they want a physical disconnection then tiersten has suggested a surefire way to accomplish it. ;)
  • Paule123Paule123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, sorry for the delay getting back to you all spent a week studying for then a week on the Prince2 course - still in pain now icon_lol.gif

It will be a Cisco router so ill configure it not to allow incoming connections and I think they might like the idea of a switch being on a timer (over kill in my opinion but I have to meet their regulations!)

Cheers again guys icon_cool.gif