Options

Fail to recover mirroring disk

TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dear all,
Today, I plan to lear about mirroring disk. So I setup another hard disk (not same model) to my computer load with Win2003. I add a miror to the volume C (Disk 0) with the second disk (Disk 1). The miror was sync and all was fine. I take out the Disk 0 (original data) but the computer cannot boot with the secondary disk. In my sybex book, I see that I have to boot the computer with a windows 2003 boot disk and a boot.ini that point to the secondary partition. As my computer doesn't have floppy disk, I made a boot CD disk (NTLDR, NTdetect.com, boot.ini). It doesn't work. Here is the boot.ini config in the original data:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Boot Mirror C: - secondary plex"
If anyone who try to pratice disk mirorring has this kind of problem. And when I replace in the default= rdisk(1)partition(2), it doesn't work. Your help will be appreciate.
MCP 70-270 / 70-290

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might need to change the rdisk value to 0. Since you physically removed the other disk, the remaining disk would no longer be the second disk.
  • Options
    I replace the last row rdisk(1) to rdisk(0), it doesn't work. I am using two differents models hard disks and size. Do you think it is because it is not the same model? cause it is was same model and size, whenever I move the secondary disk to the primary drive, it should work cause windows will reconnize it as the 1st disk. icon_sad.gif
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Can you boot it from the Media CD and run a fixboot??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326215
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    I am sorry to tell you that I have boot with CD 2003 to run the bootcfg /rebuild. It said that it cannot scan the disk, try to run chkdsk. When I run chkdsk, it said that there's no disk. when I run fixboot, the same message that there's no disk. When I try with fixmbr, it replaced the MBR partition but it is still inaccessible. It seems that C is not an active partition. But when I put the 1st hard disk with the 2nd hard disk, I can boot with the secondary disk. But it cannot boot when the 1st disk is not present.
    Also, when I use diskpart in the recovery console, i see the drive that I can delete if I want. Do you think that it is because the disks are not same model and size? If it was and I move the secondary disk to the primary drive, it should work. I should test that but it is difficult to find two same disks. icon_sad.gif
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290