So I visited my Father @ Work

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
Was pretty random. Heading to a new 24 hours fitness gym 45 minutes away from my home. Just wanted to see what it's like with brand new and different equipment. Afterwards called my Dad at work since his office was only about 5 minutes or so away. Wanted to see the environment he works in. He works for PG&E's (a major power company out here in the San Francisco Bay Area) data center (1 of 3). Pretty massive place with all the servers, tape silos (StorageTek), miles and miles of cabling, old mainframe consoles, liquid chillers, raised flooring. I thought there was 1 server room, I was surprised that there are other doors which lead to more equipment. I feel thankful to have a Dad like that which is also in the IT field. He's pretty much my only motivation.

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sounds good, it can be quite an eye opener when you get change to see something like that.

Having a family member in the same sector much me good too, gives you someone to talk to about a common interest rather than the blank looks I get from my other half when im mentioning another incorrect PTR record, icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good for you.. Also, can be a bad thing to tell us. A lot of time that with such important facility, their SVR room suppose to be a secure area with employee in that unit ACCESS only. It can be a secure violation to have a outsider. However, I doubt it will be the case for you.

When I was in college, I have a similar experience, too. That's why that you need to NASA at least one time. You never know that your next generation might be the one that put us to live on the moon. :)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Kasor wrote:
    Good for you.. Also, can be a bad thing to tell us. A lot of time that with such important facility, their SVR room suppose to be a secure area with employee in that unit ACCESS only. It can be a secure violation to have a outsider. However, I doubt it will be the case for you.

When I was in college, I have a similar experience, too. That's why that you need to NASA at least one time. You never know that your next generation might be the one that put us to live on the moon. :)

Well yeah I had to sign in with my drivers license and they had to verify it, even though my dad is kind of a supervisor and he's been with the company for 10 years or so now (after quitting from IBM due to commute). Other than that it seems to be ok for me that I can come to work with him and just observe while watching my 291 videos. Plus he works graveyard shift, only him and 2 guards are present. I just like being in the environment, looking at all the different equipment.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    Sounds good, it can be quite an eye opener when you get change to see something like that.

Having a family member in the same sector much me good too, gives you someone to talk to about a common interest rather than the blank looks I get from my other half when im mentioning another incorrect PTR record, icon_lol.gif

So true.

When I was younger I got to go with my dad to work with him a few times and see the stuff he worked with. At the time I did learn a ton from him and most of the time when we would talk most of the stuff he would say would go right over my head but I would just sort of smile and nod and act like I knew what he was saying while trying to soak up as much as possible. Fast forward to now though and I see how little technical knowledge he has since he is really a glorified salesman. He knows just enough to sound like he knows what he is talking about without a true understanding of it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Sie wrote:

So true.

When I was younger I got to go with my dad to work with him a few times and see the stuff he worked with. At the time I did learn a ton from him and most of the time when we would talk most of the stuff he would say would go right over my head but I would just sort of smile and nod and act like I knew what he was saying while trying to soak up as much as possible. Fast forward to now though and I see how little technical knowledge he has since he is really a glorified salesman. He knows just enough to sound like he knows what he is talking about without a true understanding of it.

Same here. My dad started talking a lot about what each server, tape drive does and I got kind of lost but at least it made me feel happy for him. :)