Backup Solutions

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Hi everyone, i want to right up a procedure at my place regarding users backing up their personal data, as we seem to get a lot of people losing their data due to our techs re-imaging them when they crash, or just losing data due to them not knowing where they are saving thier work to!! Especially the remote users, who only ever work away from the company and are never on site ( so where can they back up to?) i am curious as to what procedures you guys have in your repective companies?

Comments

• dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We use symantec backupexec and an HP tape drive to backup all our users data. We map a drive for each user that points to our file server. We urge all our users to save their work there. We backup the file server every weekday night. As for remote users such as sales reps I have told them to get an external hard drive and backup their files to that.

The number one way to prevent data loss is to make sure it isn't saved to the local computer. You wouldn't believe how many times I have gotten a call from somebody saying they have saved over a file by mistake or deleted something!! Without our backup up system I would have a lot of angry employees.

Anyways that should give you an idea of where to start.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Speaking of Backup Exec, you may also want to look at the Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option to see if it would work for you (especially if your remote users stay remote a lot of the time)
    Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option
    With the majority of business-critical information residing outside the data center or off corporate servers, protection for desktops and laptops is a must. The Desktop and Laptop Option delivers continuous data protection to desktops and laptops whether in the office or on the road. Not only improving data protection and efficiency, this option enables users to restore their own files and maintains synchronization between multiple desktops and laptops so the most up-to-date file versions are available on all of a user's computers. Because the Desktop and Laptop Option does not require a dedicated stand-alone server as competing products do, it easily integrates into existing IT infrastructure and policies, helping lower the total cost of ownership.

The new push-install functionality from within Backup Exec centralizes deployment. Backup Exec 12 includes support for Windows Vista, Windows XP 64-bit OS, as well as delta file transfer, reducing the total amount of data being backed up. With this release, this option is integrated with Backup Exec Retrieve (available with the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server) for even greater simplified file recover
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i got a little pat on the back when I moved us from a $1200 product to a $700 product for backup solutions as far as our servers go. That is, going from Symantec to Acronis.

As a last thing I do for each of my computer customers, I offer peace of mind with bootCD+image of their systems using Acronis's stuff.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • averyjasaveryjas Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have experience with SyncBackSE backup software? I haven't used it, but we have a hosting partner who uses it to backup our sharepoint site. Any pros or cons?