98 to XP Upgrade

ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just done a couple of tests on mcmcse.com and I have to say, I think some of the answers on there are poor, there's a few that I would possibly disagree with, but this one stood out the most.

You are getting ready to upgrade a Windows 98 client to Windows XP Professional. Before installation, you would like to check the hardware and application compatibility of the client. How do you perform both of these tasks?

1. From a command prompt, enter Winnt32.exe /duprepare
2. Check your hardware against the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
3. From a command prompt, enter Winnt.exe /checkupgradeonly
4. From a command prompt, enter Winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly
5. Load the installation CD, select the Check system compatibility option from the menu
6. There is no tool available to check both hardware and software compatibility

Correct answer(s): 4 5

I answered, 2,4 and 5. Am I right?

Also, in the real 70-270 exam, do you get the "which of these" multi-choice answers? or just single multi-choice answers only?

Cheers!

Comments

• dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    I agree w/ you. I'd have chosen 2,4 and 5.
    close to MCSA!!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's worded poorly, but since you clearly understand the concept don't worry about it. You won't find anything that piss poor on the actual exam.
    -Daniel
  • ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great, cheers
    also, does anyone know the answer to my second question? If any of the70-270 answers require more than one answer?
    Thanks
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ivlatt wrote:
    Great, cheers
    also, does anyone know the answer to my second question? If any of the70-270 answers require more than one answer?
    Thanks

Short answer, yes.
    -Daniel
  • banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    ivlatt wrote:
    Great, cheers
    Thanks
    Yes, there are sometimes two that apply but you are asked clearly to choose 2 in this case.
    So do not worry.
  • ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote:
    Great, cheers
    Thanks
    Yes, there are sometimes two that apply but you are asked clearly to choose 2 in this case.
    So do not worry.
    They'll be those group policy questions then icon_evil.gif .
  • bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote:
    Great, cheers
    Thanks

I passed last Thursday and got a few questions that wanted 2 answers and it stated to pick only 2. I didn't receive any questions that wanted more than 2 answers.
    Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote:
    Just done a couple of tests on mcmcse.com and I have to say, I think some of the answers on there are poor, there's a few that I would possibly disagree with, but this one stood out the most.

You are getting ready to upgrade a Windows 98 client to Windows XP Professional. Before installation, you would like to check the hardware and application compatibility of the client. How do you perform both of these tasks?

1. From a command prompt, enter Winnt32.exe /duprepare
    2. Check your hardware against the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
    3. From a command prompt, enter Winnt.exe /checkupgradeonly
    4. From a command prompt, enter Winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly
    5. Load the installation CD, select the Check system compatibility option from the menu
    6. There is no tool available to check both hardware and software compatibility

Correct answer(s): 4 5

I answered, 2,4 and 5. Am I right?

Also, in the real 70-270 exam, do you get the "which of these" multi-choice answers? or just single multi-choice answers only?

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply and congrats on passing, but just to clarify the answer given (4,5) is correct. Option #2 is incorrect because the question asks "how do you perform both of these tasks". Option #2 will not check for application compatibility, only hardware. In the case of MS, when it wants multiple partial answers to make up the whole answer it will state something like "There are several steps needed to perform this task, select each answer that, when combined, will fulfill the requirements". That's not the exact wording, but I have seen it on a number of occasions. Anyone else remember the wording?

Again, congrats on your pass! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:

Sorry for the late reply and congrats on passing, but just to clarify the answer given (4,5) is correct. Option #2 is incorrect because the question asks "how do you perform both of these tasks". Option #2 will not check for application compatibility, only hardware. In the case of MS, when it wants multiple partial answers to make up the whole answer it will state something like "There are several steps needed to perform this task, select each answer that, when combined, will fulfill the requirements". That's not the exact wording, but I have seen it on a number of occasions. Anyone else remember the wording?

Yes, it usually says something like, "choose two answers, each answer represents part of the solution."
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Also about the mcmcse.com exams, I generally like them as they are wordier than a lot of free exams you can find out there, but there are some questions that are just plain wrong so always be sure to double check your facts. Also look out for those tricky wordings! The real test can trip you up with some tricky wordings as well such as negatives.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Also about the mcmcse.com exams, I generally like them as they are wordier than a lot of free exams you can find out there, but there are some questions that are just plain wrong so always be sure to double check your facts. Also look out for those tricky wordings! The real test can trip you up with some tricky wordings as well such as negatives.

This is very true. I encountered one question that had two very valid answers and only the word "user" rendered it incorrect. It was about GPO.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ccaltacc wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Yes, it usually says something like, "choose two answers, each answer represents part of the solution."

Yes that's it. Thanks. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.