Options

Finally got an interview...

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
In person at least. I've had a few over the phone but this will be the first for in person. Another thing is that it will be the first for a programming job icon_cry.gif

While I don't like to admit it most of my on the job experience has been with programming... Which I am not a huge fan of, but can do and can get excited about if it is making something that I think is interesting or challenging.

The fact that I got the interview was quite a surprise as well. I had just gotten off of a phone interview with a recruiter about networking jobs when the phone rang again. I thought it was the same recruiter and answered the phone again to be surprised with someone else. After about a half hour phone interview we set a date for me to come in and interview in person. It is for a consulting company near me that is just starting up in the area. The things I liked about it though are that I would be on a W2 instead of the 1099s I have been doing and that they offer services in programming and networking. While on the phone I tried to make it as clear as possible that I was more interested in working with Cisco stuff (they are also a Cisco partner) but that I would be interested in doing programming consulting for them to get more experience in the field with the possibility of later switching over to their networking side when they become more established in the area.

Anyways I figured it would be a good chance to at least meet some people and if they make a good enough offer I will do it since money truly is my motivator. Wish me luck!
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Good luck indeed, interviews are always nerve racking but if you get the job it's definitely worth it. Let us know how it goes.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well good luck then, let us know how it goes ok?
  • Options
    Thanks and will keep you guys updated. The interview is set for Tuesday. Also the phone interview I had before with the recruiter went well and I am supposed to be talking to her more on Monday as well. There were a few jobs she had that sounded pretty interesting. One of them that really caught my attention was one that came with a sponsorship for a Classified security clearance.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck! I'm glad to hear your vision is improving as well.

Hopefully you'll have a new job and perfect vision in the near future!
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    good luck... make sure to do some research about the company the jobs.. ask questions... im just learning this stuff.... and alot of people are advising me to do that stuff.. just thought ill pass it on...

KNOCK 'EM DEAD!
  • Options
    The interview went great! I spoke with the HR Director, Regional Director and App Dev Director. After I left I also got another call from them. Seems there was someone else that wasn't there at the time that they wanted me to talk to so they scheduled for that person to call me at 4pm today.

The background on the company is that they are based in Rochester NY and have opened this office near me about a year ago and they are building up their presence here. Right now they only have app development stuff in this area but they are hoping to grow that into Cisco in the near future. Basically they want me to do some Lotus Notes and PHP development for them for about 6-8 months and after that they want me to help them build the network infrastructure side of their consulting firm once they get a few more people on and their name out a bit more. Sounded pretty fun to me. They said the three people I spoke with will meet and get an offer (I said I was looking for about 40-50k\yr which they agreed was reasonable) together for me and work out the details in the next week or so.

Now I just hope everything works out!

Also had an eye checkup after that and my vision is now 20/20 and I don't have to go back for until September.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats awesome! It sounds like it will definetly be a challange for you with lots of room to grow since they just started in that area. How are benefits and incentives?
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    How are benefits and incentives?

The only thing I really asked about was education reimbursement since I am young and the others were not that important to me, they do have health, dental, vision all that jaz though. To the tuition reimbursement they said they do not have but if training in a certain area was needed and I could do it they said that it would probably be covered.
  • Options
    Alright... That sucked... icon_cry.gif

Seems I have forgotten a lot about programming and feel I did pretty bad on that tech programming call. Sucks when you are confronted about stuff you used to know and used to be good at but can't remember jack.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    have they called you back since ?

hope you get the job icon_exclaim.gif
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    They have not. I sent a thank you email the day after, figure I shall call on Monday.